Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 Civic, not starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough
01 Civic, not starting

Alright guys and gals (if there are any), I have a problem...Hence why I am on here I have posted on here before about a fluctuating Idle issue that I could not figure out and for the most part you guys were able to help. The problem is still there but that's another story....

Any way, The other day I tried to start my car and it would turn over, but wouldn't crank. I turned the car off, put the key in the II position, heard a "click" under the dash, (which sounded like it came from the ECU) listened for the fuel pump to kick on and it fired right up....Car drove fine and started fine a few more times after that...A few days later I tried to start the car, and it did the same thing. However, when I listened for the fuel pump, there was nothing. I tried it a few more times and still nothing...I let it sit for a couple hours, tried it again and it fired right up...drove home fine...

The next day, I put the key in the II position and instead of hearing the normal "click" under the dash near the ECU, I heard numerous clicks and my dash lights looked like the orchestra of lights at an NYC Christmas celebration!!!

I do have an AEM F/IC but the car has just started doing this over the past week...

I talked to a mechanic and he is pretty sure the problem does not lie with the ECU, nor do I. Any ideas are greatly appreciated and will be tried....

I do have the EXCELLENT Honda Service manual that walks you through steps of how to test, I just don't know where to begin...
Old 12-10-2011
Registered!!

HondaDr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 01 Civic, not starting

I would check the main relay. Since you said there was lots of clicking it could be trying to click over but not catching. This would be a fairly cheap solution to the problem. If the relay tests fine then its time to look further into it.
Old 12-11-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpdySylvrEX

instead of hearing the normal "click" under the dash near the ECU, I heard numerous clicks and my dash lights looked like the orchestra of lights at an NYC Christmas celebration!!!
This description just SCREAMS ignition switch. The electrical half of it.

The main relay won't cause this kind of excitement, but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem too.
Old 12-19-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
This description just SCREAMS ignition switch. The electrical half of it.

The main relay won't cause this kind of excitement, but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem too.
ok...Where is the main relay located? I have located 2 relays behind the glove box, but I am pretty sure these are for fuel...

Also, today I was trying to look around and see if I could see anything obvious but I couldn't see much...I tried to make the issue show up again but there was no clicking or flashing lights...I did not try to start it though...
Old 12-19-2011
Registered!!

aidan/eg5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the fuses in the engine bay over by the battery they would be the main fuses they're easy fixes. could also be the fuel pump but with all the clicking your describing sounds electrical. after that could be lots of things distributor would be next thing id check if its cranking but not firing as you described.

on a side not what are your idoling problems have experience with them
Old 12-19-2011

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

ok...Where is the main relay located? I have located 2 relays behind the glove box, but I am pretty sure these are for fuel...

Also, today I was trying to look around and see if I could see anything obvious but I couldn't see much...I tried to make the issue show up again but there was no clicking or flashing lights...I did not try to start it though...
Main relays #1 and #2 are behind the glovebox, but there are probably several relays back there. If you had posted what your car is exactly, I could narrow it down a little better---
DX, LX, EX, HX, GX?
USA?

Not that it matters at this point........

This is your main problem as I see it so far:
my dash lights looked like the orchestra of lights at an NYC Christmas celebration!!!
I assume you mean the lights flickered rapidly on and off several times, right?
This happens more as you move the ignition key, correct?
Ignition switch is bad.
It may take a while driving it to get it to this point since heat from electrical load has a lot to do with it and makes it worse.
The main relays cannot cause the dash lights to do this.

It's like a volume **** on an old radio that makes a lot of static as you turn it. The scratchiness is from poor contact inside the vol pot. Your ignition switch has poor contacts too. That's why the dash lights flicker as you slowly roll the ignition key.

Side note:
I tried to start my car and it would turn over, but wouldn't crank.
Your terminology is horrible.
Old 12-20-2011
Registered!!

Yeah, I guess it would make a difference what model it is:
EX 5 Speed
USA

"I assume you mean the lights flickered rapidly on and off several times, right? This happens more as you move the ignition key, correct?"

No, it happens when I turn the key to the "II" (2) position.
However, like I said in my last post, I messed around with it the other day and I couldn't get it to happen again.

Looking at the schematics I have, there is a red/black wire coming from that position, goes through a fuse in the fuse/solenoid box. According to the schematics, it then goes into a solenoid after the fuse, which then goes to a whole list of things, including the gauge cluster....I am wondering if this is where a problem lies...

"Your terminology is horrible."

Yeah, sorry about that,
Old 12-20-2011

No, it happens when I turn the key to the "II" (2) position.
However, like I said in my last post, I messed around with it the other day and I couldn't get it to happen again.
Again: Ignition switch.
The idiot lights flickering is the clue. That's all I need to hear.

Looking at the schematics I have, there is a red/black wire coming from that position, goes through a fuse in the fuse/solenoid box. According to the schematics, it then goes into a solenoid after the fuse, which then goes to a whole list of things, including the gauge cluster....I am wondering if this is where a problem lies...
No. The wire out of the ignition switch that feeds all the important stuff (engine items and warning lights and much more) is black/yellow.
It feeds power to fuses 1, 4, 6, 9, 10, 13, 17, 19, 20.
You could monitor it with a test light bulb.
A test light attached between a ground and that blk/yel wire OR ANY OF THOSE FUSES will show the light flickers at the same time the dash lights do.
You may have to drive for a while before it acts up.

This is a VERY common problem.
You are overthinking and overcomplicating it. Or not understanding it.

The car acted like someone shut the key off or wiggled it real fast? Yeah, that is effectively what happens with a bad ignition switch.