Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

constant honk after short

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shteeve03 is an unknown quantity at this point
constant honk after short

ok so i have a 2004 EX and while removing the alternator i shorted while removing the little nut holding the the wire and ever since, when the battery terminal is connected, the horn does not stop sounding and it is a constant honk. does anyone know how i can fix this?
Old 10-09-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: constant honk after short

Pull the horn relay ???
Old 10-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: constant honk after short

You either burnt up the relay (under-hood fuse/relay box)or the switch (in the steering wheel), or melted some insulation along the wire somewhere causing a short to ground.

Pull the relay and test it. If it's good, inspect the fuse/relay box back and front along with the wires and connector. Then pull the steering column covers and inspect the wires and connectors. If they look good you'll have to pull the airbag to access and inspect the horn switch.

*If you're unsure about pulling the airbag post back and I'll guide you thru it, it's super easy. For that matter if unsure about any of it post back and I'll walk ya thru it.