Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help ASAP....issues after maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
webster426 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need help ASAP....issues after maintenance

OK.....so maybe the vehicle needs to run a couple full tanks of gas before it catches up =P

I got 38 mpg out of my second tank today so, I am happy to see improvement. I havent had time to investigate the EVAP leak that is somewhere around the charcoal canister I installed.

I just recieved my primary O2 sensor today and (low and behold!!!) it is different than the original even though the seller swore I was wrong...bastards!

Anyway, below is the pick of the new primary O2 sensor. What do you guys think? It has a lot less of the milled holes in the sides, but definately has the extended head to get deeper into the headers. Comments anyone?[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-25-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

still looks like the wrong sensor to me. its more like a secondary. is that the ntk? or did they just send another bosch. idk, i have a feeling check engine light will come back if you install that and wait a few days.
Old 08-27-2011
Registered!!

I got some CEL codes today....I cleared them to see if they return. Two of them are for that damn EVAP leak that I cant find!!! I checked everything and there was nothing out of place, dry rotted, disconnected, or anything.....any ideas on how to troubleshoot that? The third was regarding the cat converter which quiet possibly means I cant use that damn primary O2 sensor.

I was thinking it could be part #11 in the diagram below. When I was replacing the canister, the screws were frozen in and I had to hacksaw them out (even after heat and WD40 didnt help!). The bracket got slightly bent, but it still felt like it seated into place when everything was put back together. Do you think this could be the issue?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...L+PIPE+%281%29

***I dont know how to post just the picture so if you go to the website, it is #11 VALVE, CANISTER VENT SHUT
Old 08-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Specific EVAP codes?
Old 08-27-2011
Registered!!

I cleared the codes and they have not reappeared in around 50 miles. I know they will come back because they only come on when the engine is completely cold (sitting all night), then I drive about 5 miles, than they come on.
Old 08-27-2011
Honda Crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZFreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah that sensor (the last pic posted thus far) doesn't look like an OEM/NTK primary sensor.
Old 08-28-2011
Registered!!

I think I am going to go to Autozone and look at the part and maybe just buy it from them. Then I can call rockauto and complain about another bad product! I dont think they will like that, but I want the right part for my vehicle!

BTW....the sensor in the above picture is supposed to be the Bosch 13532

Last edited by webster426; 08-28-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah it not so...try local auto parts. the problem is when i got mine they hardly had any import parts so it was a special order. but being i worked at advance, i just did my own ordering and looked at the insides before buying. i guess if they order it and it looks wrong, you can refuse it. just say you want to pay when the part comes in instead of up front. what is the specific engine code? is it a sensor code or an actual catalyst code? if its the cat thats bad, no amount of sensors will help.
Old 08-28-2011
Registered!!

I erased the codes because I assumed one of two things:

They would come back quickly

or

They were faulty codes after new part installation.

I commute 500 miles a week, so if there are issues, they will surely return. This damn primary O2 sensor is pissing me off though! LOL!
Old 08-28-2011
Registered!!

You guys will love this....I went to autozone and looked at Bosch PN# 13532.

Low and behold, it was DIFFERENT than the first two I got. That means I have seen 3 completely different O2 sensors all with the same part number, all in the same box. I have always thought very highly of Bosch until recently....
Old 08-29-2011
Premium Member

haha no more bosch parts for me. did the third one look like the stock sensor?
Old 08-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
raigen18 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by webster426
You guys will love this....I went to autozone and looked at Bosch PN# 13532.

Low and behold, it was DIFFERENT than the first two I got. That means I have seen 3 completely different O2 sensors all with the same part number, all in the same box. I have always thought very highly of Bosch until recently....
Save yourself any future problems and just buy the NTK 24291 primary o2 sensor, it's identical to the OEM one. It's only $30 at rockauto
Old 08-29-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
haha no more bosch parts for me. did the third one look like the stock sensor?
Simply put...no.

-The first one is in the picture with the right wiring and grommets, but the wrong tip on the end (too short).

-The second one (which has been working in the vehicle now) has the right wiring harness, grommets, and has the extended head as in the above picture.

-The last one I saw yesterday at autozone had a wiring harness that was too short with no grommets, and had a 'similiar' end as the one in the picture above, but was clearly different.

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING how three of the same parts could be so different. I too was a die hard Bosch fan until now. I know there parts have always worked great in my Volkswagon and my Ford so....time will tell I guess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the O2 sensor goes, the one that is currently in there seems to be working. It is actually idling and driving very nicely right now, and I have not pulled any CEL codes since I cleared the codes immediately after installation. I also checked out all the lines by the charcoal canister and firmly pushed in the hoses to ensure they were all tight.

I am eager to see if any CELs come back, but so far so good
Old 08-30-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
still looks like the wrong sensor to me. its more like a secondary. is that the ntk? or did they just send another bosch. idk, i have a feeling check engine light will come back if you install that and wait a few days.
I would be curious to see what your Bosch O2 sensor looks like! I cannot believe that company....

Anway, my CEL finally came back on and it pulled two codes, but they are both the same. One is active, the other says 'pending' on the scanner; I have never seen this before.

The code is P1457. I am pretty sure it is the Canister Vent Shut (CVS)....I checked all of the lines, and could not find any leaks, loose connections, cracked lines, etc. The screws were frozen in place on the original so I hack-sawed them off, I guess it it possible that the CVS got damaged??? It is the only thing I can think of.......
Old 08-30-2011
Premium Member

my primary was exactly the same as stock, even had "NTK" engraved in the base. this was from a bosch box about 3 yrs ago.

and yeah sounds like something got damaged when you hacksawed it.
Old 08-30-2011
Registered!!

OK....I will order the part and report back. I really hate replacing parts that I am unsure about....if it isnt the CVS I am gonna be pissed! I just hope this doesnt turn into a bottomless pit for that damn code!

UPDATE: Ordered the CVS and the appropriate EVAP filter (the $20 one)

Last edited by webster426; 08-30-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2011
Registered!!

FINALLY got the parts last night and installed them this morning.....so far so good, but we will see =)
Old 09-16-2011
Registered!!

over 600 miles without any CEL.....so I am glad that it taken care of. I think I am gonna get the NTK O2 sensor though.....its starting a idle a "little" rough. Most people probably wouldnt even notice it, but I do, and I dont like it. Further more, she is getting 37 miles to the gallon (which is good but not great) so I am thinking a NTK would get me were I want to be....

Thoughts???
Old 09-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

It's only rated 36mpg new so, consider yourself lucky. Most people would kill for 37mpg- in any car. lol
Old 09-17-2011
Premium Member

i would still go with ntk, just to fix the roughness. oxygen sensors are way overrated in terms of effect on mpg. when mine went bad, i only got 1-2mpg less than usual.
Old 09-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
It's only rated 36mpg new so, consider yourself lucky. Most people would kill for 37mpg- in any car. lol
Thats for the average Joe....my cars average is 40 mpg so, I am trying to get it back to were she was, even if I am being a greedy little bastard! LOL

I just ordered NTK PN# 24291. Hopefully it works out even better than my Bosch part.

DO you think there is a chance I would be able to sell the Bosch O2 sensor PN# 13532? The damn thing is $50 bucks new and it only has about 1k miles on it.....any chance I could get $20 for it or something?
Old 09-17-2011
Premium Member

throw it up on ebay someone will buy it
Old 10-26-2011
Registered!!

Hey guys.....just wanted to update you all that the NTK O2 sensor had made a big difference. After all the new parts are in and she has been driving like a champion for the last month, she is back to running at 40 mpg!

Is this a brag post? ABSOLUTELY! Could not have done it without you guys.....thanks for all your help!
Old 10-26-2011
Premium Member

nice glad we were able to get it working. i forgot to mention, it usually takes around 100 miles for all the ecu readiness codes to set before you see the best improvements.