Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Member. New Owner.

Old 08-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thisguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New Member. New Owner.

bought a 02 LX mt a month back and have had it in my shop since. its been myself and a seasoned mechanic working on it. we both have limited exp with honda, but he has 20+ years of mech work under his belt, and has done almost everything to customers cars.

so far the completed repair list is as follows:

-p/s rack
-rear main seal
-clutch slave cylinder
-motor mounts
-cv seals (inner shaft ends looked and felt smooth as butter) seals were leaking however
-valve cover gasket and plug grommets
-clutch kit

Now to what is failing currently:

-input shaft bearing seems to be on its way out (read the tranny noise thread, and that confirmed my suspicions) Noise is when the clutch is disengaged in gears 1,2,3,4 and neutral. It comes and goes in 1 and 2, but is constant in 3 and lesser noise in 4.

my question with this bearing, since im almost 100% sure thats what it is, the TOB was replaced with the clutch kit so it should be fine. Will it destroy my trans if i leave it until i change my clutch again? since its a bit of work to drop the tranny again.

-after replacing the rack and pinion, i have noticed my fluid level dropping below the minimum line in the resevoir each time i drive. upon looking for the leak i cannont see any wet spots other than the lower hose on the res going to the pump AND the lower hose on the rack, coming from the res. hopefully its just a hose. my question being is it safe to use a uv dye in the p/s system to locate the leak more readily?

-Front Main Seal seems to be leaking. After doing the rear main, it seems the increased oil pressure has popped the front main seal. Now im not sure 100% if it is the front main, so my question is what else could it be? few drips of oil on drivers side after sitting over night. AND what else should i be replacing since ill have that area out to find the leak? ill look up the DIY for the front main since im not to versed in this procedure.

thanks, ill be checking this forum multiple times a day, and will keep it updated with any other developments

Last edited by thisguy; 08-04-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2011
Registered!!

Re: New Member. New Owner.

been using only honda p/s fluid, and mtf.

any place i can get the ISB, and front main seal? other than dealer. if it turns out to be the FMS that is slowly leaking oil

recommendations welcome
Old 08-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

http://www.cheaphondaparts.com/ is a good place to pick up someone of those parts, not sure if any aftermarket companies are making replacements.
Old 08-04-2011
Registered!!

all i saw on that site was a/v, interior/exterior accessories and security.

im looking for front crank seal or front main seal. and the input shaft bearing.

thanks
Old 08-04-2011
Registered!!

also ive started noticing a "clunk" noise when hitting a bump or hole while turning only. havent heard it at all while driving straight forward, but only while in a turn and hitting a bump or hole in the pavement.
Old 08-05-2011
Registered!!

any input welcome
Old 08-05-2011
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Clunking is likely a upper strut mount, or LCA bushings, or a motor mount. Welcome to the world of 7th gens. BTW. I have a 2001 with 140k and have done none of the repairs that you have mentioned, this might shed some light on how much she was taken care of by the previous owner(s).
Old 08-05-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. I havent had any of these issues either.
Old 08-05-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pheaton
Clunking is likely a upper strut mount, or LCA bushings, or a motor mount. Welcome to the world of 7th gens. BTW. I have a 2001 with 140k and have done none of the repairs that you have mentioned, this might shed some light on how much she was taken care of by the previous owner(s).
Originally Posted by tbohar
Welcome to the forum. I havent had any of these issues either.
...great. honestly im already sick of the car. havent had it a full month. i didnt pay close to book value but im coming up on that mark with the repairs already done, and looks like more to come.
Old 08-05-2011
Registered!!

mine has 140k also
Old 08-05-2011
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

I love my Honda. If my car was in the condition of yours, I'd still fix it. I'm sure I'll be fixing this car long after it's worth fixing just to keep it around a little longer. Or it gets totaled, whichever comes first.
Old 08-05-2011
Registered!!

tru. ya i dont mind fixing it, just perturbed its hasn't even been 30 days and stuff is failing lol

any input on what i should be looking to replace along with the front main seal? if that is wat is leaking. seems to be the most likely scenario since i just did the rear main, and the increased oil press probably shot the FMS.

thanks
Old 08-06-2011
Registered!!

any input/ideas on the OP?
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

anybody....bueller....
Old 08-07-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Hopefully I can answer some of those questions for you. Input shaft bearing is a Dealer Only purchase. Yes, I recommend replacing it now, even though its a PIA. Learned that lesson the hard way. Trust me.

I'd also go with Honda PS fluid only. Others will work, but the tend to wreak havok on the seals/gaskets. Honda puts a special additive in the fluid just for that reason. I'm not sure how the dye will affect the fluid, but once you've determined the source of the leak, I'd replace the fluid or you may have a couple others to contend with.

Sorry to hear about all your woes. Yeah, usually the front main seal goes hand in hand with the rear. Unless you're lucky or selling quick. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not sure if FMS is dealer only or not, but I'd guess it is if you're asking. I'd check the camshaft seal, while you're at it. MTF is your choice. Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc. I actually recommend it.

Last edited by maxtierney; 08-07-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Hopefully I can answer some of those questions for you. Input shaft bearing is a Dealer Only purchase. Yes, I recommend replacing it now, even though its a PIA. Learned that lesson the hard way. Trust me.

I'd also go with Honda PS fluid only. Others will work, but the tend to wreak havok on the seals/gaskets. Honda puts a special additive in the fluid just for that reason. I'm not sure how the dye will affect the fluid, but once you've determined the source of the leak, I'd replace the fluid or you may have a couple others to contend with.

Sorry to hear about all your woes. Yeah, usually the front main seal goes hand in hand with the rear. Unless you're lucky or selling quick. Good luck.
pm'd

Last edited by thisguy; 08-09-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

UPDATE:

-Rack was indeed an butozone failure part. leaking from the middle of the rack, idk how, just did after about 3 days of driving, at first i couldnt see any major leak at all, but once it started dripping onto my exhaust i figured out it was comin from the rack.

-Doing the Front Crank Seal, (with or without the oil pump assembly???) the oil pan gasket, the p/s belt and ac/alt belt.....anything missing from that front side i should get also? maybe cam seal? or timing seals? (there are 3 timing seals right? two on top and one on the bottom?)

-also going to do the input shaft bearing since ill have the subframe off....anything else in this process i should look for to replace? (besides ISB & Oil seal) ((Just did a clutch kit)) any other bearings or seals? i kno the case needs RTV or honda bond. Just wanna cover my a$$ so i dont have to do this again for a few years of light daily driving)

thanks
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

bump
Old 08-13-2011
Registered!!

tttt
Old 08-20-2011
Registered!!

UPDATE:

1st week in the shop....First rack and pinion, rear main seal, slave cylinder, clutch kit, Front motor mount, CV seals (bought 8, first 6 failed from butozone, last 2 from honda), and valve cover gasket kit.

2nd week in the shop....Input Shaft Bearing and Seal, ANOTHER Rack and Pinion (first replacement leaked in the middle of the rack), A/C & P/S belts, Front Main Seal, Timing Belt, Lower Timing Belt Cover, Brembo Pads and Rotors (got them dirt cheap), Bosch Plat Plus spark plugs, Front Right Motor Mount, Water Pump and Woodruff Key (mech friend lost it while replacing the Front Main Seal)

cost is about 1400 in parts and labor (friend price on labor)

STILL TO DO:

HID Kit, Tinting, and power door lock fix (not sure if its the actuator or switch) i can hear it clicking in the doors and fuse panel, not sure what to replace, Lip Kit all around, Fog Lights, and wheels and tires.

its running good now, did an engine bay clean up with a whole bottle of simple green, looks great now. vac'd and detailed the entire car, then it rained lol florida...gonna rewax and do the windows again in a neighbors car port tomorrow and let it sit overnight to cure the wax...then gonna clay bar it next weekend.

thanks a lot everyone, the DIY threads especially.
Old 08-21-2011
Honda Crazy

ZFreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you got to the bottom of it. My Civic has over 300k miles and have yet to have any noise from the trans. bearing. Front main (oil pump seal) is leaking, and rear main seal is moist, but not leaking/dripping. Car has the ORIGINAL clutch if you can believe it. (98% hiway miles).