Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

strange noise when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point
strange noise when accelerating

I have a strange noise (creaking/tearing sound) when I accelerate in my car. It usually occurs in the lower gears (1,2) but I have heard it in fifth gear when I'm on the freeway (especially coming up to speed on the on ramp). The last time I heard something similar they told me my front engine mount was torn. I will check this out sometime this week but I'd be pretty upset if it was torn again bc I've had it fixed less than 25,000 miles ago!

Any ideas? It doesn't sound like metal on metal. I'm going to be changing to coilovers soon and I'll be changing many of the suspension bushings over to poly when I switch to the coils. I was hoping for your input on what this could be! Many thanks
Old 08-03-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: strange noise when accelerating

usually 10k miles is the average life for a front oem engine mount. get some energy suspension inserts for the mount and never worry about it again. its like $40 for the pack and i recommend only using the two inserts for the front mount and throw away the rear mount inserts (they are way harder to change and the front mount is the only weak one to begin with).
Old 08-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: strange noise when accelerating

really? only 10K? that is terrible! I'll have to scope out the front mount and replace it if it's torn... it sounds exactly like the first torn mount I had though.. so chances are it is the front mount. I will update when I get to the bottom of it.

UPDATE:
Got home after work and inspected my front mounts while draining my oil. To my surprise my engine mount rubber looks flawless. The only bushings that I can see that need replacing are the lca bushings which I have already purchased and I plan on replacing them when I do my drop.
I also attempted to recreate the issue with someone else inside the car and couldn't get it to make any noise. Pushed it on the freeway and nothing either. Perhaps the car has to be prewarmed. Annoying

Last edited by CGaud; 08-03-2011 at 09:32 AM.