Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fast clicking when I try to start the car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strife419 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fast clicking when I try to start the car.

Hello everyone,

"Here is the whole story, so I don't miss some small detail, please skip to the bottom for my fast clicking problem"

I have a 01 Civic EX that has had electrical problems. While driving I noticed lights getting dim, radio shutting off and etc. So I figured it is either the battery or the alternator. I took the car to Autozone had the battery tested, they said my battery was fine, that it's my alternator. So I take the alternator and head back to Autozone, they plug the alternator into the machine and what you know alternator is fine.

Whole day I charged the battery while playing the alternator in and out game. I took the battery back in to be tested since the alternator was fine, this time I took the crappy looking ground wire with me. Tested the battery with our ground wire attached battery fine, tested with crappy ground wire on battery bad, tested battery with new ground wire battery good. So I replaced the ground wire, thought I was good until a couple days later.

I was still having the same problem, so I decided Autozones testing machine sucked and hooked a multimeter to my battery to see what was going on myself. 7 volts while running, so I tested the little nut on the alternator 7 volts. Wala its the alternator, took it out a second and time. One problem I forgot to disconnect the battery when I changed the alternator. I caused a short when I was disconnecting the little nut. disconnected the battery and proceeded to change the alternator, and then put the 4 hour charged battery back in. Cleaned everything up and hopped in the car for a test spin. Except the car didn't start, it clicks really fast. The dash lights blink in sync really fast. I couldn't hear the fuel pump start either. The head lights along with everything appears to have sufficient power. So i'm thinking I blew a fuse, I pulled what I think is every fuse out and tested them with a olm meter. Can't find the blown one, and now i'm here typing this in the hopes of someone out there has a answer for me.

Thanks.