Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car is stalling under load after replacing battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BiggSean is an unknown quantity at this point
Car is stalling under load after replacing battery

Hey guys, I had been having trouble with my battery for a while now, and I knew it was on it's last leg. If I let the car sit over a weekend, it wouldn't start.

I drove it to work yesterday, and at the end of the day when I tried to start it up, it was completely dead. I used my portable jump starter to get it started, and proceeded to drive 60 miles back to my home. When I got home, I tried to start it again, and as expected, the battery was completely shot.

I removed the battery and drove down to Sam's club to purchase a replacement energizer model, and promptly installed it when I got home. I made sure to clean all of the terminals and to ensure everything was tight when installing the new battery. It started right up without fail.

This morning, as I'm making my 60 mile commute back to work, the car stalled abruptly, with the ABS light coming on, and the radio turning off.

I pulled over to inspect all the connections, and everything appeared to be very solid.

I started it back up, and continued on my way, thinking it must have been a fluke. It stalled several times while on the freeway, exhibiting the same symptoms as mentioned above, but the motor never died. It would just lose power for a brief moment, with the ABS light flashing and the radio resetting.

I searched around online and found this article which relates to late model vehicles losing their learned idle position after replacing a battery. Could it be this?

http://repairpal.com/engine-stalling...ry-replacement

Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2011
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Car is stalling under load after replacing battery

What model/trim?

Do you get a battery light?

Also mine was acting up and I realized I didn't have the terminal connectors as tight as I thought I did. They seemed snug, but weren't snug enough I guess, it would randomly not start/lose power. Jiggle on the wires and watch the dome light or something inside and see if it cuts in and out.
Old 07-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car is stalling under load after replacing battery

make sure the battery connections are very tight. you should be able to twist them left and right and they should not move at all. if they do and you cant tighten it anymore, you need a new terminal. also connections do get loose over time due to lead being a soft metal. so remember to check em every few months and tighten if necessary. you may also want to check the voltage to the battery with the car running, should be around 14v. and 12.6v when off.