Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stupid car... Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
specialized7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stupid car... Wont start

2002 Honda civic Si (canadian)

Well got all the overheating issues figured out. clean her out last nite pull it out of the garage everythings good.
Now this morning try to go to work and all i hear is a loud rapid clicking coming from the starter, all lights everything works fine.
so i swap out battery still same thing. Try boosting it, still nothing.
Tappin the starter did nothing.

I dont get it. It was running fine last nite now it just wont start? does a Starter just go out like that? it has always started good?

Please Help I had a big job to go to this morning and i already feel like a dumbass not showing up.
Old 07-11-2011
Registered!!

Re: Stupid car... Wont start

I forgot to mention I have an ankle injury on one foot and a heel injury on the other , Lets just say push starting it turned into a catastrpophic failure
Old 07-11-2011
Registered!!

Well update, Car does absolutly nothing now. cant even roll the windows up and its going to rain
Old 07-12-2011
Registered!!

any ideas guys? my one buddys civic did the same thing so i text him and he said it was " one of the big fuses under the hood for the ignition"
Old 07-12-2011
Registered!!

thewal will become famous soon enough

did you check your battery?
Old 07-12-2011
Registered!!

Yea i put the one from my truck in there and still nothing?
Old 07-12-2011
Registered!!

update lights and everything started working then i tryed to turn it over and click and now it doesnt light up again
Old 07-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Check all the fuses/relays then check you wiring, especially around where you did work last. Look for pinched/bad wires and bad connections as well as bad grounds.

Scan it for codes too.

Also, you may have a parasitic draw. There are a bunch of good vids on youtube for parasitic draw testing.

And finally all that may be for nothing 'cause it sounds like a bad MCU (Multiplex Control Unit). It's built into the under-dash fuse box. Download the manual and do troubleshooting for a bad MCU.
Old 07-12-2011
Registered!!

Well i went in there with a good light and upon inspection of what i think is the starter right next to it looks like some kind of solinoid and there is a wire hooked to it which to me looks melted.

So i unhooked the wire and turned the key over, all the lights work again got the windows rolled up.
So this leads me to believe that the starter is seized up and when go to start it,it shorts everything out?
or that solinoid just shorted out? or both?
what do you guys think i took some pics just so you can tell me what you think?
Name:  _DSC2848.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  63.2 KB

Last edited by specialized7; 07-12-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Yeah, that's the starter solenoid, it pushes the starter gear forward to connect with the flywheel. And by the pic it looks like you have a manual tranny.

1. Check for continuity between that terminal and ground.

Is there continuity?

YES- step 2

NO- replace the solenoid

2. Check for continuity between that terminal and this one:
Name:  startersolenoidwires-1.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  72.1 KB

Is there continuity?

YES- solenoid is good replace the wire. It runs from the starter to the starter cut relay in the under-dash fuse box. The starter cut relay is the bottom left relay in the under-dash fuse box. Make sure to use the same gauge wire or it will burn out again.

NO- replace the solenoid
-------------

Post back if you need to test the starter.
Old 07-12-2011
Registered!!

Awesome man thanks will do in the morning!
Old 07-13-2011
Registered!!

Ok so i wasent sure how to test the wire because it runs up into the main harness?
so i went ahead and replaced the starter and solinoid, Guess what Its doing the exact same thing a loud rapid clicking almost sounds like when your batterys dead but its a much faster clicking. $50 bux down the drain any ideas how do i test that wire?
Old 07-14-2011
Registered!!

I only have the service manual, not the electrical troubleshooting manual. Best I can tell ya is that wire stays black/white all the way to the under-dash fuse box. Look for a black/white wire going into the back of that fusebox. Unplug it and test for continuity(ohms) from one end(starter) to the other(fusebox). Hopefully there will only be 1 black/ white wire.

If the wire is bad just run a new one and zip-tie it to the existing harness.
Old 07-14-2011
Registered!!

Thanks alot im going to go out there and check it out again. For some reason i missed the last part of you 2nd last post. I never checked that relay in the underdash fusebox. Is there one i can swap it with?
Old 07-14-2011
Registered!!

The one right next to it, which is the taillight relay.
Old 07-14-2011
Registered!!

I FIGURED IT OUT!
ok so i swap those relay(had a bitch of a time gettin thme out BTW) still nothing so im pretty frustrated at this point. My step dad comes in and says I can see this wire that goes to the battery terminal sparking like crazy so i pull it out clean it off put it back in and tighten it up good and sure enough it fires right up!

I felt pretty stupid haha but i would have never figured it out because i cant see under the hood while im turning it over.

Anyways thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-15-2011
Registered!!

lol. At least it's fixed. lol.