Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check engine light (with symptoms)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cameojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Check engine light (with symptoms)

Sooo, here my situation: '03 Honda Civic DX 1.7L. A little over 2 months ago I was getting some serious sputtering when I stepped on the accelerator. While I was under the impression it was probably my plugs gone bad, I decided since it'd been forever since my car had seen a real shop, so i took it out to have the plugs and oil changed (it'd been like 20k miles since my last change lol). Anywho, they said they were gettin a cylinder 1 misfire code so they put new plugs in. Everything seemed resolved and it was running well for about 3 weeks. Then the exact same problem comes back.... I decided to pop the spark plugs out myself and see what they gave me. Turns out they put in NGK BKR6E, which from what I can tell from the NGK website, they don't belong anywhere near my vehicle... So I took those out an installed some NGK ZFR6FIX-11 Iridium plugs and suddenly my cars back to running smooth as ever. This last about 5 or 6 weeks, which bring me up to this last weak the problem has come back! The odd thing is, if i drive the car lightly for a little while, the light goes off and it doesn't misfire... but then it'll just start sputtering again outta nowhere.

Anyways, ran the diagnostics and im getting a cylinder 1, cylinder 2 & random misfire now. I switch the cylinder 1 ignition coil with cylinder 4 to see if i could get the error code to jump... however, it did not. What can i do to try to fix this bullshit??? From what I can tell it could be a clogged fuel pump or a faulty fuel injector? The fuel pump situation seems unlikely though, my car barely has 100k on it... If anybody could put in their 2cents that would be great... im not trying to take it to the shop and get charged 100bux an hour for something i could do myself.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

wetpinkpants is on a distinguished road
Re: Check engine light (with symptoms)

Sounds to me its running rich and fouling out the plugs . What I think it is one of the qxygen sensor. I had that same issue once and the code reader wont pull it only once in a while. Thier is a upstream sensor below the exhaust manifold and a downstream . Where are you testing the codes at ?
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

cameojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Check engine light (with symptoms)

Ummm I just use the diagnostic tool from autozone n plug that sucker in right by the accelerator pedal. I checked my plugs... When i pulled the wrong plugs they already looked brown n worn out. The plugs i put in 6 weeks ago currently look ok to me, slightly greyish on the end that's bout it.