Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pulling my hair out over this someone help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
talon187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pulling my hair out over this someone help!

Ok i have a 2003 honda civic 2 door dx 1.7 i bought car with 102000 on it. since ive owned i changed timing belt all seals and idlers. plugs. tire/wheels front breaks. ign lock cyclinder rebuilt new battery. heres my issue. car had a altenator and battery form autozone when i started driving battery would not hold a charge. i changed it. I then noticed afer letting the car sit for the weekend battery was dead. So i went and had altenator checked couldnt check it if i unpluged the connector to the altenator it would be able to test it. I then put in a denso. same thing happened. after a few days. I then called the dealer and they told me mitsubishi was the oem alteantor and they have seen issues with after market ones before. I then got a mitsu. Same thing. So i then bought an oem from the dealer same thing. im stumped what could cause this anyone know have any ideas? I checked all my fues pulled one at a time and test and also tested with volt meter everything was in check thing was wrong or seemed wrong. could the ecu do this? also when i called the dealer they said there was a sensor or somthing in the fuese box but when it went bad it would cause a check engine light. if anyone could give me some help it would be great thanks
Old 06-11-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Pulling my hair out over this someone help!

You might have a parasitic drain somewhere in the car if the battery is dead if it's been sitting for such a short period of time.
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=141&t ransactionid=1307834996-6724824270&posted_by=MelJ_www.civicforums.com&yout ube_video_id=jTECmj78ZOU[/autostream]
Old 06-11-2011
Registered!!

nice vid but like i stated before i checked all that and it tested fine. i just dont get how the altenator could draw current when the connector is pluged in and the car is off. iknow for the conenctor its got 4 wires one goes to the ecu one must be power one is ground and can someone tell me what the last one is for? and where exactly they run to ?
Old 06-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Take it down to Autozone and have them scan it for codes (it's free). If you get P1298 then you need to replace the Electrical Load Detector(ELD) in the under-hood fusebox. Part #38255-S5A-003. Use the specific part number 'cause if you go to the dealer and ask for the ELD they will try to sell you the entire fusebox ($250).

Or troubleshoot the alternator and regulator circuit with the service manual (it will also tell you what wire is what): https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html

Last edited by lazlong; 06-11-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2011
Registered!!

whats the ELD do? when i talked to the dealer they told me that was replaceable and like $30 and i dont have a check engine light on....
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

It's a power regulator. My light wasn't on but, I still had a P1298 for the ELD. Light doesn't have to be on to be storing a code. Bad ELD wouldn't cause a battery drain though.
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

Blah im very anonyed i noticed that ELD is connected to some of the wires in the altantor and i noticted there is also a realy for the alteantor be hind the glove box any idea how to tell witch relay it is? i just dont get what could kick on this damm thing someone said its possible ecu was doing it. so i dissconnected it and rehooked up the battery and no change....
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

floyd107 is on a distinguished road

your batt can be dying if you have a amp hooked up wrong? or something in that type of field. your old batt just might of seemed like it wasent holding a charge because its older and dies quicker.and the newer one will just take longer.if you dont have a amp just look around for something that might not be shuting off. check and see if any wires are running off your batt that might not be conected to something right.last but not least chances are slim but see if your hood may be touching in any way i once had a car that did the same thing and it was my hood touching the batt term.
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by floyd107
check and see if any wires are running off your batt that might not be conected to something right.
Speaking of which: watch out, the connector for the ELD can be plugged into 2 different spots, only 1 of which is the right one.

I kept getting the ELD code and had it plugged in wrong.
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

floyd107 is on a distinguished road

yep its the stupit stuff like that,and you will prob over look that everytime until it finally hits you. and hopefully thats before you drop you baby off at the doctors and hand you machanic free money.
Old 07-02-2011
Registered!!

Still havent figured this out lol. i even bought a oem altenator from honda. i had a friend check it out and its drawing 1.3 volts form the top right pin on the connector of the altentor somthing is kicking it on when it should be off i havent figured out what yet
Old 07-03-2011
Registered!!

lewi103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodmorning dude hey here is something you can try i just finished fixing my dads car same problem.ok if you have a 12volt probe tester with the ignition off and key out disconect the negative battery cable and connect the clip to the negative cable and the probe end to the negative pole if the light on the probe turns on that means something is drawing power so now what i want you to do is start pulling fuses untill the light goes out when it goes out check what ever is connected to that fuse.another thing if you have an after market alarm disconnect that too.in my fathers car 2000 civic the alarm was the problem.and also to test your altenator with the car running disconnect the - cable from battery and turn everything on wipers radio ac lights exc if the car stays running then that means alternator is good try this and let me know good luck dude.