Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rounded Nut Removal on a D17A2

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tencc will become famous soon enough
Rounded Nut Removal on a D17A2

Any ideas on removing a rounded nut on the exhaust manifold flange (the one that sits under the PS pump mount) before I remove the PS pump and bust out a die grinder? Tried Craftmans bolt out, its a POS. Only made it worse. Engine is a D17A2. Thanks
Old 06-11-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rounded Nut Removal on a D17A2

I'd just cut that thing out.. I think that's what I did when I rounded that very bolt. Stopped by autozone and grabbed some replacement hardware after that
Old 06-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Those rounded bolt removers are absolute garbage, i destroyed a bolt with one too.

I would give vice grips or hammering on a smaller impact socket on a try, but if that doesn't work cut it out like josh suggested.
Old 06-11-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

The more I think about it, what I actually did was cut the nut most of the way, as far as I could without touching the threads of the stud, then muscling it off with a pair of vise-grips. Afterwards, removed the stud and replaced all the hardware with grade 8 or 10 stuff from Autozone
Old 06-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tencc will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably shave down the nut with a die grinder and rotary file, then use vise grips. I wanted to avoid that but it is what it is. I was going to install a Megan header but the last fastener stopped me in my tracks. Now I'll probably wait untill I change my timing belt and install either a stage 1 or 2 cam later this summer.