Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stripped Bolt on Timing Belt Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SkullinsideSkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Stripped Bolt on Timing Belt Cover

First time post and I wish it wasn't under these circumstances

I've doing the timing belt replacement (thanks reddawn) and all the other part replacements that go with it, finally got to the timing belt cover (after valve cover, alternator, p/s steering pump removal, crankpully bolt loosening etc, (tdc sensor was a bitch) )and the middle (there are three by my reckoning bolt, furthest below is stripped to death on the timing belt cover cover and i'm passed mad.

Anybody have any ideas to get that bolt out? It's such a pain to get to that I can't get any pliers on it and I can't drill into it.

More than appreciated if you do have ideas.
Old 05-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Stripped Bolt on Timing Belt Cover

You can't get vice grips on it eh?

Try forcing an impact socket one size smaller than the stripped bolt and attach your breaker bar to that, impact sockets have worked for me a number of times when standard sockets haven't. You should also soak it in good penetrating lube and if you can put heat to it.
Old 05-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Stripped Bolt on Timing Belt Cover

I have never tried it so I don't know if it works, but I believe Sears sells something along these lines. It's kind of like an impact socket but it has edges that are supposed to bite into a stipped bolt head. I believe the edges are designed to bite in the reverse or removal direction.