Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New problems emerge with Vtec swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7thGenCuban is an unknown quantity at this point
New problems emerge with Vtec swap

I looked all over the forums and I couldnt find anything close to the problem Im having. I got my motor swapped to Vtec and when Honda did my reflash my "D" light started blinking and the car wont pick up speed normally. Its like Im in neutral and when I press on the gas it barely starts to move and eventually picks up speed but not enough to say its drivable. There cant be anything wrong with my tranny(auto) because before my first motor broke it was running perfectly fine and I doubt the shop did anything to my transmission.
Anyone possibly know whats goin on with it?

Could it be the ECU and all the electronic stuff trying to detect what is being ran in my car now and just needs some time to run and figure things out?
Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: New problems emerge with Vtec swap

I think you need the VTEC ECM/PCM for that to run correctly. I don't know if the gears are shorter in the EX auto tranny but, in the manuals the EX gears are a little shorter. I don't know if the engine-tranny combo is throwing it off or not. The "D" is for the transmission. I would definitely scan it for codes, transmission codes will come up on any scanner.

Last edited by lazlong; 05-25-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: New problems emerge with Vtec swap

It sounds like your in limp mode.

Before you swapped in and reflashed the ecu did you check to see if its an auto or manual, a manual ecu will work well enough with an auto trans car for the engine to run fine and the car will move, but it will go into limp mode and do what your describing.