Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

04 Civic Si - recent issue! please! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011
<3 my si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intrance9 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 Civic Si - recent issue! please! HELP!

Hey guys,

so I'm new here, I've been reading and reading and i see that you are all pretty knowledgeable, i thought I'd pick your brains.

I have a 2004 Civic Si, love this car, just bought it a couple months ago.
its 5 spd. and pretty stock.
i definitely have some future plans with it, like i want to upgrade the intake, and do a few cosmetic things, i also plan on installing a new sounds system.

but ultimately its how the car runs that concerns me most. i need this car to last, cause i cant have it breaking down, or dying on me before i pay off my car loan.
yesterday i was driving on a cloverleaf turn, going about 50-65 KM/h in 3rd gear, ya know just enjoying myself, on my way to fill up with gas. my light was on, and i was less than 1KM from the gas station.. anyways i was powering through this turn, foot on the accelerator and all of a sudden my car "jolted" (almost as if it was running out of fuel, or as if it was stalling out of gear) im hoping that you guys know what i mean.

i eased up off the gas and geared up to 4th, then just took it easy to the gas station. immediately after this i noticed my check engine light come on. after filling my tank i noticed i had about 3L left in the tank, before i filled it.
so i ruled out a fuel issue. i was talking with a friend last night who told me its likely an issue with my transmission, and that i should get my fluid checked out... i found the DIY on here on how to do this, so I'll likely check that out.
but oddly enough, after i filled up i drove about 88KM and noticed my check engine light was off now. thinking nothing of it, i continued to drive to work today, and the same thing happened, same time as well i was in 3rd gear at about 3000-4000 RPM give or take. I was actually downshifting at the time.. and now my check engine light is on.

another thing i should add is that i am noticing a sound, an almost clicking, or metal on metal sound and it happens when i accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear, at about 3-4000 RPM.
this is a relatively new noise, have been noticing it for about a week.

Also, when i started my vehicle after the first time the "jolt" happened it seemed like it struggled at first and i noticed the idle was a little lower than usual, just ever so slightly.

so I'm wondering, has anyone seen this before? any suggestions? Thoughts
Please help me, I'd really appreciate it.
I'm eager to learn and i don't really wanna take it into the shop if its something i can do.

Thanks A lot!
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

thewal will become famous soon enough
Re: 04 Civic Si - recent issue! please! HELP!

It could be a couple of things. Try to get the code that the car is giving. In the mean time check all your fluids.
Old 05-20-2011
<3 my si

i did a fluid check, on a few things last night. checked oil, Clutch/Brake Fluid, power steering, and coolant(not in the rad though). i dont really know how to check transmission fluid, im beginning to assume its transmission related, based on what i've read. but ya i'll see if i can get the code for you guys later on in the day today, i'll call up my mechanic friend.
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

Drive the car until its worm. Park it on a level surface take out the dip stick for the tranny and check the fluid for it.
Old 05-20-2011
<3 my si

oh i wasn't sure that there was a dipstick for the tranny, where can i find that? is it at the top of the engine? whats it close to? sorry i haven't done this before.
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

It should be on the lower left side when you are facing the engine. It should be yellow.
Old 05-20-2011
<3 my si

Thanks man, you're a life saver.

i'll keep everyone updated as more info is avail.
just finished my shift. so im off to drive home and head to bed.

thanks! =)
Old 05-20-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Pretty sure manuals, at least the ones I've encountered, don't have dipsticks. To check the fluid, you need to be on a level surface, obviously. There should be a gigantic bolt for the transmission somewhere near the top. It's the fill hole bolt. You basically take this bolt off and stick your finger in there. The fluid should be JUST below the hole.
Old 05-20-2011
<3 my si

Ya a quick update. I just got home. turns out whenever I'm at about 4000 rpm it's slipping. I'll check the fluid later today, just looked under the hood, no dipstick. I'll check the bolt as you described. I'm worried though. Cause it sounds like it's idling pretty rough too =(
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

Oops, yes manual dont have a dip stick thanks MelJ.
Old 05-20-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

By slipping, you mean the revs are shooting up, but the car isn't really going anywhere? If so, that sounds like a clutch issue. Did the car throw a check engine light at all? That may give us a clue as to why the car is running rough.
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Call around and find an auto parts store with a scanner, it's usually free. If you can't find one try the local independent mechanic. If you're nice he might read it for free or next to nothing.
Old 05-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the jolt is likely the fuel went to one side of the car and pump starved. that jolt could have caused sudden stress in the clutch. also, depending on fuel you use, there could be some gunk that got in fuel line.
Old 05-20-2011
<3 my si

Thanks to all for your help.
took my car to my mechanic, who is great by the way.
he scanned the ECU and got the code P2646

and apparently it all has to do with my vtec. i have to clean that filter... so im looking for that DIY now.

also FYI i am going to work on a few more things, like the idle. and so you know i only use Premium/mid grade fuel.
Old 05-20-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Follow the directions here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html
Old 05-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

same thnking as the fuel, check your engine oil level - potentially oil starvation to the V-TEC. check oil when engine is cold

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-20-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2011
<3 my si

I'll check the oil, will likely replace it next week. I'm gonna install short ram air intake i think.
so i'm planning on doing everything then.i
checked and the airbox/ air filter box is right on top of the Vtec Selonoid right?
in
a stock si
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

1. Check oil level (when engine is cold and car level).

2. Look for bad wires/connectors.

3. Inspect/clean the VTEC solenoid.

4. Check for continuity (Ohms) between the 2 terminals of the oil pressure switch with the engine at 3,000rpm. Your checking the switch itself, not the wires.

Do you have continuity?

YES- Replace the oil pressure switch

NO- Short/open between the ECM/PCM and switch or solenoid (bad wire/connector).

Last edited by lazlong; 05-20-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2011
<3 my si

Originally Posted by lazlong
1. Check oil level (when engine is cold and car level).

2. Look for bad wires/connectors.

3. Inspect/clean the VTEC solenoid.

4. Check for continuity (Ohms) between the 2 terminals of the oil pressure switch with the engine at 3,000rpm. Your checking the switch itself, not the wires.

Do you have continuity?

YES- Replace the oil pressure switch

NO- Short/open between the ECM/PCM and switch or solenoid (bad wire/connector).
how should i check for continuity? whats the best way? a voltmeter?
also im looking at getting better wires, whats a good place to get that?
Old 05-21-2011
Trance Addict

Yep. Just need a multimeter.
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

Just solder or use butt-connectors on a bad wire.

As said in the last post a volt meter will do. They don't make volt meters that only check voltage anymore. Just find the Ohm setting and put 1 prong on each terminal of the sensor. Mine has an alarm that will beep if it has continuity so I don't even have to look at the meter.

A good multi-meter (what they call volt meters now) is a must when tracking down electrical problems. It would behoove you to get a good one but, if you don't have much money and just need to get by they have bottom-of-the-line ones for like $5 virtually anywhere- wal-mart, big lots, k-mart, etc.

Check the sensor first and if it's good then I'll walk you thru the continuity tests for the wires.
Old 05-21-2011
<3 my si

Haha i found out today that my dad has one of those ombd II computers.
haha could've used that all along for reading to COL code.

all good, im gonna get a voltmeter then and a few other things, thinking cause the air box/air filter box is in the way of the solenoid, and i'll have to take it out, i might as well upgrade to an aftermarket Intake.
cold air or short ram.. just debating the brand and what not lol
thinking AEM or injen.
what do you all recommend?
Old 05-21-2011
<3 my si

Originally Posted by lazlong
Just solder or use butt-connectors on a bad wire.

As said in the last post a volt meter will do. They don't make volt meters that only check voltage anymore. Just find the Ohm setting and put 1 prong on each terminal of the sensor. Mine has an alarm that will beep if it has continuity so I don't even have to look at the meter.

A good multi-meter (what they call volt meters now) is a must when tracking down electrical problems. It would behoove you to get a good one but, if you don't have much money and just need to get by they have bottom-of-the-line ones for like $5 virtually anywhere- wal-mart, big lots, k-mart, etc.

Check the sensor first and if it's good then I'll walk you thru the continuity tests for the wires.
when i said i was thinking about new wires i meant for the Plugs.

but thanks for all this info. it's extremely helpful, hopefully everything works out okay.

if i need to replace the oil pressure switch do i get that from the dealer? or can i get it from like part source or something like that?

Last edited by intrance9; 05-21-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add the last bit
Old 05-22-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

oil pressure switch is fine aftermarket
plug wires - no real need, ours is very durable and efficient enough for anything you throw, turbos, high compression, etc.
Old 05-22-2011
<3 my si

oh! thats good to know! thanks.

what about aftermarket intakes, im thinking an AEM cold air intake would be nice!

good news everyone! I did an oil change today, then pulled the airfilter box off and checked the solenoid. it was good, and pushed the button on it, according to the DIY thread this indicated that the oil pressure was low, i checked the oil and there was a very low ammount of oil. so i did an oil+oil filter change, and changed the air filter today, after inspecting the solenoid and everything is working fine, i topped up my fluids and i definitely learned a lesson, that i should pay closer attention to my maintenance schedule.

but that you all for your advice and instructions, i really appreciate it.

now i have to get the ECU read again to clear the COL and then im going to start upgrading the parts. and i'll have to do my head gasket on my old car (1995 civc dx) lol.
Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-22-2011
Trance Addict

You can get an eBay intake and a good quality AEM Dryflow filter and you should be fine. Glad to hear you got your problem straightened out. Don't be a stranger around here! You'll learn a lot lurking the forums .
Old 05-22-2011
<3 my si

Originally Posted by MelJ
You can get an eBay intake and a good quality AEM Dryflow filter and you should be fine. Glad to hear you got your problem straightened out. Don't be a stranger around here! You'll learn a lot lurking the forums .
Ya man i was looking on ebay, but im thinking i may just pick up an AEM intake, looking at it now. looks like only short ram will fit my car.. according to the website.

this is what im looking at http://www.aemintakes.com/search/pro...x?Prod=22-508P

but we'll see, i wanna make this car faster and run perfectly haha but trust me i used to be part of a really awesome forum, I enjoy forums, so i'll be hanging out learning here as i go =) excited to show some pics off.

and i am super eager to learn cause i cant justify paying a mechanic unless its a difficult job.
Old 05-22-2011
<3 my si

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
same thnking as the fuel, check your engine oil level - potentially oil starvation to the V-TEC. check oil when engine is cold
you were correct, the oil pressure was way low! just like my oil level!!!
Old 05-22-2011
<3 my si

im super happy its fixed, cause that was stressing me out.
im going to pay closer attention to my maintenance schedule.
in 10,000 KMs i have to do timing belt haha.

but ya i still have the check engine light on...
should i just hook the odmb computer back up to clear it?
Old 05-22-2011
Trance Addict

Originally Posted by intrance9
Ya man i was looking on ebay, but im thinking i may just pick up an AEM intake, looking at it now. looks like only short ram will fit my car.. according to the website.

this is what im looking at http://www.aemintakes.com/search/pro...x?Prod=22-508P

but we'll see, i wanna make this car faster and run perfectly haha but trust me i used to be part of a really awesome forum, I enjoy forums, so i'll be hanging out learning here as i go =) excited to show some pics off.

and i am super eager to learn cause i cant justify paying a mechanic unless its a difficult job.
I feel ya, man. I think the mehanics changed my timing belt and that was the last job they did. Well, I let some people change my axles and I ended up redoing their job because something got messed up. Its weird having other people messing with my car. The only time it really goes to the shop now is for tires and car inspections. If the CEL was on for what you got fixed, reset it and drive around for a bit. If it doesn't come back on, you should be good to go.

Last edited by MelJ; 05-22-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 04 Civic Si - recent issue! please! HELP!