Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

replaced thermostat now overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boosted01civic will become famous soon enough
replaced thermostat now overheating

I replaced the lower rad hose and thermostat today. to my surprise there was no thermostat in the housing. I put one in and now my car is overheating. It overheated so bad on way home the water passage cracked. I will replace the passage and thermostat with a honda one but any suggestions why it would start overheating so bad. I expected it to run a little warmer but dang.
Old 03-03-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: replaced thermostat now overheating

did you use honda thermostat when it overheated? thermostats are self-adjustable, meaning they respond to coolant temp changes. hotter coolant causes it to open more. the only cases ive seen a new thermostat cause overheating is if it was not opening properly (or enough). this is one part you really cant afford to go aftermarket. the quality difference is huge.
Old 03-03-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

After you changed it did you do a proper bleed on the cooling system? Don't drive it when overheating ... you may have destroyed your head gasket already Either improper bleed or it's not opening

Last edited by BlueEM2; 03-03-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Unfortunately its a cheap Advance Thermostat. Honda dealer not close and I had to have one ASAP. I am going to replace it again today with a Honda one and yes the system was bled properly. I still can't believe that it did not even have one in there to begin with. I had to replace the gasket because it was leaking so when I saw there wasn't one in there I went with what I could get. I have also been told by a friend that alot of people with turbo civics don't run Thermostats??? I am going to but is there anyone on here that doesn't would love to hear the reason.
Old 03-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan on driving the car take the thermostat back out... better to run the car cold than overheating
Old 03-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thermostats are very important. without them, you can have all sorts of issues. in the winter, the car may never fully warm up and you will be running rich all the time in "warmup mode" which can lead to all sorts of fails including cat converter, engine deposits, o2 sensors, etc. it will tear the car apart over time. the whole point of a thermostat is to keep the engine at the perfect operating temp for best mpg and performance, not too cold and not too hot. there is no reason to run without a thermostat. when you compare the oem one to the generic, you will see the difference why oem is much better.
Old 03-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,202 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

get a OEM thermo and try installing this:
Originally Posted by bomerman19
an Oil cooler can be ridiculously cheap the expensive part is the sandwich plate $20-$30 bucks from summit? then go to a junk yard find a pickup truck that has an auto trans and steal the cooler out of it bam you have your self an oil cooler then just make lines. I mean even though I am running aeroquip socketless hoses on mine I am still running barbed fittings with hose clamps on them and it's cheap you could just run some oil hoses instead as long as it can handle the pressure and does not blow off your fine
Old 03-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I was just sayin'. While waiting for delivery of the new thermo to run without it... Dont run like that for an excessive amount of time
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

OK so I got my new OEM Thermostat today and I installed it and it went together nice. I found out that the idiot at advance actually sold me the wrong thermostat. I went back to talk to the guys at advance about their crap thermostats and he started asking me about what car and I told him and the one they sold me at the other advance didn't match any part numbers at this advance. I will let you guys know what happens when I start it tomorrow. I took alot of extra stuff out tonight and replaced some bolts that needed it.
Old 03-05-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I wonder if that makes them responsible for any damage that may have been done to your car.
Old 03-06-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,202 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

another one for new parts not working so well. this time, parts counter...
Old 03-06-2011
Registered!!

Parts store isn't responsible because they aren't the one's putting it in the vehicle. Still royally sucks but I got a new one in and got everything fixed just got to bleed the system and top off the fluid.