Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 civic ex weird immobilizer problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chriswaskin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2001 civic ex weird immobilizer problem?

so my girlfriend said she listened to the radio with the car off for about 10 minutes on her lunch break, when she left work the car was hard to start and while driving the immobilizer light started blinking, and when you hit the brakes, turn the heat on, air, radio, or lights on the car seemed to die out and sometimes the engine quit completely when braking for a red light. I checked the battery, batt. terminals, and the ground, cleaned and put em on tight, thought the prob was solved. Over a couple runs it seemed fine, but eventually the drive belt started squealing on start up and when idle and would quit squealing once reved up. Of course I check the tension, bolts, and all seemed fine. When i put belt dressing on it would quit squealing for about 20 mins then start again the belts in good condition. Also the green immobilizer light still comes on most of the time but why does it start if it doesnt recognize the key...I seen posts saying the car might go into a limp mode, but it seems to have power when reved just looses its charge almost, Lights dim, engine rpms, when braking or using accessories . Im thinking the alternator is the problem then right ...If so I dont understand why the immobilizer light comes on unless it comes on when the ecu or other electrical problems occur too. What do you guys think, is it bigger than just the alternator or would the bad alternator cause all of the problems?? Im lost please help, Thanks
Old 01-07-2011
Registered!!

Re: 2001 civic ex weird immobilizer problem?

Oh and its a automatic v tec sohc d16
Old 01-07-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Check the voltage with a meter.
Old 01-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

It's either the alternator or she blew the ECM/PCM. Listening to the radio with the key in the ON position is very bad for your electronics.
Old 01-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like a bad battery to me that caused other problems. when the voltage drops too low, the immobilizer light will flash. and driving with a low or bad battery can trash the car pretty quick including burning the alternator (due to it working non stop). once alternator goes, ecu is next as well as other electronics that depend on a fixed range of voltage. did she have the car in acc position or the on position?
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

k the alternator/electrical prob is fixed, belt was a little loose just tightened it. but the immobilizer light still randomly stays on while driving, but everything else seems fine. Oh, and she said she had key turned acc.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

and the batt is good also around 12.5 while off and 14 while running...im thinking the immobilzer unit is faulty?

Last edited by chriswaskin; 01-09-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by chriswaskin
Oh and its a automatic v tec sohc d16
my bad i meant d17a2
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

check the battery clamps to be sure they are tight enough. when mine were a bit loose, the green key would flash and sometimes not start the car.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

they are tight as can be...its weird i found many of the same probs online but no solutions other than what I and other people have already checked.
Old 01-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I'd say it's the immobilizer and there is no way around that outside of taking it to the dealership. Have you hooked up a code reader?
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

The service manual says you need a Honda scan tool but, there are some things you can do before you take it to the dealer.

Worst comes to worst, replace the immobilizer. It's #14: http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...itch=&hidIrno=

(Sorry about the fuzzy pics, phone cam)
Name:  immobilizer1.jpg
Views: 4587
Size:  81.9 KB
Name:  immobilizer2.jpg
Views: 3901
Size:  84.2 KB
Name:  immobilizer3.jpg
Views: 4258
Size:  73.0 KB
Name:  immobilizer4.jpg
Views: 4037
Size:  89.9 KB
Name:  immobilizer5.jpg
Views: 4458
Size:  73.7 KB
Name:  immobilizer6.jpg
Views: 4028
Size:  128.8 KB
Name:  immobilizer7.jpg
Views: 4295
Size:  108.3 KB
Name:  immobilizerdiagram.jpg
Views: 4503
Size:  78.1 KB
Name:  immobilizerreplacement.jpg
Views: 4794
Size:  50.9 KB

Last edited by lazlong; 01-09-2011 at 10:51 PM.