Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

dip stick different reading ?

Old 12-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bravo79 is an unknown quantity at this point
dip stick different reading ?

So I checked my engine oil this morning and it reads that I have put above the max line! I ran the engine for about 5 minutes and than checked again and now it reads below the max line ! I let it sit for 2 hours and checked again and it reads right on the max line ! What is the deal ?

I changed oil 4 days ago and new filter as well (It read at the max line when I fill it with oil)

I used 5w20 Mobil 1 fully synthetic with OEM Honda oil filter

Does anybody know why I'm having different reading ?
Old 12-26-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: dip stick different reading ?

Was the engine warm when you checked the dipstick, did you go for a short drive to let the oil circulate?
Old 12-26-2010
Registered!!

In the morning when i checked the first time it was left overnight so it was cold when it read above the max line. Than I drove it to a diffenet parking spot closer to my appt which is about barely 5 minutes thats when it read under the max line.
Old 12-26-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Okay, the engine needs to be fully warmed up to get an accurate reading. Go for at least a 15-20 minute drive, then check again.
Old 12-26-2010
Registered!!

I did and it reads below max I checked after turning off the engine for about a couple of minutes

When I check after 1 hours it will read at the max and Im sure If i leave it over night it will read above the max
Old 12-26-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oil settles down back into the pan as the car sits there and cools no? That's why you see more after it's cooled down for a little while. When it's hot the oil has been circulating so it's not showing in the pan, which is what you check with your dipstick. If I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me.
Old 12-26-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Thats my understanding as well Tom.

The reading on a warm engine is the only one that matters, just shut if off and check it without giving it any time to cool off.
Old 12-26-2010
Registered!!

I will do that and check when the engine is warm I've never seen a different reading on any of my previous cars that I've owned. Maybe I wasn't paying attention or at least taking care of them as I'm with the CIVIC

Thanks MindBomber and Tom
Old 12-27-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ofcourse the most accurate reading will be when you leave it overnight and all the oil goes down to the pan. if you just drove the car, you are supposed to wait at least 15 mins before checking. and it will still be lower than normal since there is oil all over the engine parts.
Old 12-27-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yup, that's what the oil is supposed to do... hold itself in the engine parts as much as it can, so there is no metal-to-metal contact, so you need to wait for the oil to settle down in the engine by gravity to really measure the level (of course, the ones that holds longer will protect the direct contact more, but will create more drag, but that's for drag racers to worry about).
If there were no differences between the measurements, there would be no meaning to have the oil in the first place...
Anyway, Bravo, you have a little more oil than you need.
Old 12-27-2010
Registered!!

Thanks
I will try to drain some out .. It will suck because I think my drain bolt is bad It turns forever and it getting little tide than it get loss again.. Not sure if I should drain everything out and changed the drain bolt and use the same oil again

I want to reuse the old drain bolt and change it in the next oil change
Old 12-27-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Just crack the drain bolt open so it a bit can drain out, then check.
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

My drain bolt is stripped and its leaking oil I used Teflon tape for a temp fix. I don't want to change the oil pan :

Is there a good fix ? What you guys think about this product ?
http://www.qwikvalve.com/F-106-14mm-1.5.html

Thanks
Old 12-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Thats kind of weird, I'd be worried about of the seal given by a ball valve..

Replacing the oil pain isn't a huge pain, but you could also try re-threading the existing hole.
Old 12-29-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

new pan time. then it will make you be careful with it not to overtighten the bolt. you can also try nylon washer because it seals better than metal with less torque on the bolt. rethreading is a bad idea because you always have shavings that can get stuck in the pan. then when you start the engine, they migrate thru all the parts.
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

Gearbox What about the link ? The Fumoto Oil Drain Valve thing?

I was thinking to plug it in and seal it with some Silicone sealant or or adhesive. I dont think it will leak from the valves if you read about it more they tell you that it will not leak because of the way it was constructed. One thing also Im concerned about which is not 100% if the old oil will get out of the pan but not sure.
Old 12-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

To properly re-thread the pain you need to remove it, doing it on the car is the lazy way and that would cause the problems you mentioned.

Originally Posted by gearbox
new pan time. then it will make you be careful with it not to overtighten the bolt. you can also try nylon washer because it seals better than metal with less torque on the bolt. rethreading is a bad idea because you always have shavings that can get stuck in the pan. then when you start the engine, they migrate thru all the parts.
Old 12-29-2010
Premium Member

yeah and if you remove it, might as well put a new one on
Old 12-31-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Gotta check the oil on level ground. Preferably you should check the oil on the same place you changed the oil.
The ground may look level on one spot and on another but it's likely not.
After an oil change all you have to do is start the engine where you changed the oil and let the engine run until the oil light goes out. Let the oil drain down for five minutes and check the oil level.

The oil pan is not an issue!
Old 12-31-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

make sure your using the oem dipstick, not an aftermarket, jk =D
Old 12-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bravo79
My drain bolt is stripped and its leaking oil I used Teflon tape for a temp fix. I don't want to change the oil pan :

Is there a good fix ? What you guys think about this product ?
http://www.qwikvalve.com/F-106-14mm-1.5.html

Thanks
For a temporary fix, go to the autoparts store with your bolt and get an expansion bolt the same size. Expansion bolts expand sideways as they're tightened. Sometimes they don't seal all the way but, it will be better than a stripped bolt.