Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Can't open hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hatcher4niner is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can't open hood

I pull the **** real hard and dont hear the ping like usual. It is winter and very cold but i tried last night after driving home because i thought it would have warmed up that way. Doesn't work, I hear a ping when I press down on the hood, like the switch got unlatched but won't open for some reason. I'm going to try it again tonight and will pull hard on the hood. I hit a deer on my way home a couple weeks ago, haven't opened my hood since. It was a soft hit I screeched to a hault and the deer rolled off my hood leaving no noticable damage, but there are some small bumps right on the front, so that could be a problem.

I hope I'm not screwed, though I very could be. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't open hood

if the hood opening switch isnt broken, then its prolly the latch thats stuck. see if you can peek under there with a flashlight and pry the latch open. either way looks like it needs to be replaced.
Old 12-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Latch or cable, either one
Old 12-17-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Cables go all the time, so it could be that and they're really cheap to replace. I would start with the latch though, the force of the impact could have jammed it down and now its stuck in place.

Worse case scenario, you need to cut the hood off and replace it and the latch, still only a few hundred dollars and insurance would cover it.