Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P0335 Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ozzfreak is an unknown quantity at this point
P0335 Code

Ok, here is the story, 2002 civic, sitting idling, and the car dies. It starts right back up, runs a few mins, dies again. This time it takes a bit of cranking to get it to start. Once it does, CEL is on, and I go get the code read, P0335. So Crank Position Sensor. I read a bit, and see that the plug itself could be the culprit. I unplug it, and there is corrosion. So I clean and clean and clean it with electrical cleaner spray. Still does the same thing. So I test the resistance of the plug. 2 connectors are fine, but the one that was corroded had 2-3 ohms. I cleaned more and more, got it to 0. The car drove fine for about 15-20 minutes, and then threw the code again. So what are the odds that the sensor really is bad? I've heard they don't really just go bad. I had my timing belt changed about a month and a half ago, and now this. Does the timing belt HAVE to be taken off to replace this? I'm at a loss as to what to do, besides replace the sensor, and I can't really afford it at this point, so I don't want to throw money at it, unless I know it'll fix it. Thanks for helping.

Last edited by ozzfreak; 11-04-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: P0335 Code

Originally Posted by ozzfreak
...So what are the odds that the sensor really is bad?...Does the timing belt HAVE to be taken off to replace this?
Sensors go bad, that's just the name of the game.

The timing belt doesn't have to come off but, you have to do everything but take the belt itself off as you have to get under the timing cover. It would be close to the same flag hours as having the timing belt done.