Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power loss/bogging...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jponto07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Power loss/bogging...

Hey guys,
My '03 EX with 98K is acting up. Basically it acts like its going to die when I push the accelerator, but only in the first few minutes after start up. I just bought the car about 1000 miles ago, so I can't speak much to its history, but I've done all of the regular tune-up stuff since I purchased it.

This doesn't always happen, but if its going to happen on a particular trip, it does so immediately after start up. Pushing on the gas pedal once the idle drops only forces the RPMs lower, but if i floor it, the car takes off like a rocket.

Sometimes it even does this when shifting. If I back out of my parking space, and put it into drive, I can usually tell that the car is going to sputter. Prior to doing so, I can feel the lack of throttle response, almost like the plugs were shot and the oil was replaced with glue or something. So I go to take off, and the car is holding back as I accelerate, then when it shifts it the power just craps out. The car never stalls, but I get the feeling that it very well could.

I did get an o2 sensor code the other day(P0132) which went away after about 25 miles or so. I'm not convinced the problem is the o2 sensor due to the fact that the engine is generally cold when it does this (and the o2 sensor needs to be hot to send a signal). That being said, if the car sits for as little as 30 minutes, it might bog/stutter when I try to drive it (motor obviously still very warm).

This is really driving me crazy...any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!