Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Upstream O2 replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hyphenite is an unknown quantity at this point
Upstream O2 replacement

OK, I feel like an idiot having to ask this but here goes.
Background:
MIL came on, brought to get the code read, comes back with the upstream o2, ok, cool.
Break out my Haynes manual and realize that I have a VTEC engine and the manual only has pictures of non-VTEC.

Hopefully someone can answer this for me;
Looking straight down, past the radiator, there is what looks to be (going by the length of the wire bundle) the o2 sensor, is that the upstream?

04 Civic EX, engine D17A2, if that helps any.
Old 06-30-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Upstream O2 replacement

jack the car up. It's easier to reach from there. Your upstream O2 sensor is located near the 90° bend of the downpipe.
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
jack the car up. It's easier to reach from there. Your upstream O2 sensor is located near the 90° bend of the downpipe.
Hey thanks! Haven't jacked the car up yet but I found it,

Since it's going in on the horizontal, more or less anyway, I can use a regular open-end wrench, yes?
Old 06-30-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Yes, but they make a socket with a slot in it for the wire which makes it much easier. UP to you I guess.
Old 06-30-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I used an open ended wrench when I swapped mine out. Like ^^ mentioned, they do make O2 sensor sockets
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

yeah it's easy to get off. you can use an open end wrench or socket as stated. You could also try turning the motor on and allow it to warm up and then trying to wrench it off. This should only be if it's hard to get off.
Old 06-30-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Wouldn't a hot sensor be harder to take off? Heating different metals expand at different rates so the threads are REALLY tight against each other... just sayin..
Old 07-01-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the info guys! I should be getting it sometime next week, had to order online. Which brings up another question.
I ordered a Bosch but they're subbing me a Denso, they both seem to have the same specs, is one better than the other?
I noticed the retail price of the Denso was way higher but that doesn't always mean much.