Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

d17a2 exhaust back pressure? cat delete...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tom1987tm should not be trusted
d17a2 exhaust back pressure? cat delete...

im planning on getting an aftermarket header and downpipe from ebay for cheap and also doing a cat delete. i have a cat back exhaust of off a friends car that will work.

my question is will i actually loose power due to not enough back pressure? ive heard that the engine needs the pressure.... im not sure.
also by doing a cat delete i head that the car will have an undesirable raspy sound. is this true? and how can i change the sound. the cat back exhaust is 2.5 in tubing. fyi.

any thoughts would help....
Old 06-19-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough
Re: d17a2 exhaust back pressure? cat delete...

If your going to buy a header and you do not want a cat then buy a race header. It is one piece and is designed for its very purpose. I have a race header on my ep3 with the a catback exhaust and gained bout 27 whp. It will be more than the gains that you would have cause I have a k series.
Old 06-20-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you might loose torque in lower rpm, not power
Old 06-20-2010
Registered!!

Gold Ghost has a spectacular aura aboutGold Ghost has a spectacular aura about

im runnin a dc sports 4-2-1 race header and a dc sports cat back exhaust on my 01 civic ex. d17a2 engine. the header deletes the cat an makes the car sound raspy above 4k rpm. sounds nice down low though. yes u will lose tq down low but the gains in power up top r decent. my .02 is buy a decent header an down pipe an a good hi flow cat. i believe random tech is the popular cat on this forum. that combo plus a good quality cat back exhaust will give u a nice sound an a decent power gain. but dun expect much this car sucks for bolt on parts
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

gordonjj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom1987tm
im planning on getting an aftermarket header and downpipe from ebay for cheap and also doing a cat delete. i have a cat back exhaust of off a friends car that will work.

my question is will i actually loose power due to not enough back pressure?...
I don't think there's going to be a gain on hp but neither are you going to loose.

Last edited by gordonjj; 08-03-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the general idea with small displacement engines is you may lose some low end torque but gain high end hp with larger diameter pipes. you cant have both. if the pipe is bigger, exhaust gas will slow down. this is bad for low rpm driving, but great for hi rpm driving when a smaller pipe will not be able to flow as much air. the oem setup uses smaller piping to speed up exhaust so you get good all-around (but mostly low end) power, since the engineers prolly think most drivers will not be going above 4k rpms on a daily basis.