Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
colombianDXcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
custom exhaust

well...i'm saving some money for a custom exhaust...i have a dual tip muffler on rite now..sounds nice...but i want it louder...i was thinking about taking the resonator off and putting 2.25" pipe....but now i'm thinking instead of doing that, why not go for a whole pipe change?

so what do u guys recomend?
get mendrell piping, 2.25" from the cat back rite? something like this?
i'm thinking of keeping the muffler i have rite now..i like it....if not i'll change to a single tip.....
how much hp could i get from changing pipe like this?
i also heard someone tell me abut a straight pipe....how is that? just tell the guy in the muffler shop to put a straight pipe or what????????[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

thanks for the info ...
Old 11-22-2001
Registered!!

ChEe12iO is an unknown quantity at this point
mandrel bent pipes are the best. they give more streamline exit velocity to the exahust gas, hence decreasing friction and back pressure. go with the 2.25 piping, anything bigger and you will have to tune your engine. taking the resonator off and replacing it with a straight pipe will definitely make it louder. i'd keep the muffler you have now and see how it sounds after you drop the resonator, if it's not to your liking you can always get another muffler later on. Enjoy! Serves 6-8 people! hehehehe[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-22-2001
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
usually when people refer to straight pipes, they mean get rid of your cat. converter and replace it with a straight pipe...

it definitely frees up air flow and increase hp and/or torque (duno how much, but some gains are there, probably 1 more hp? heh.) BUT its illegal and you create pollution.

if you want it louder, getting rid of the resonator and replacing it with a 2.25" pipping will do... but u might as well change the entire pipping from cat-back...

look for shops that can do mandrell bent pipping to the size you want from the cat-back...

Old 11-22-2001
DLG
Registered!!

DLG is an unknown quantity at this point
removing the resonator isnt illegal?