Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering wheel not moving freely - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mishbha is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering wheel not moving freely - Please help

Hello All,

I'm a newbie here.
I have got this problem with my second hand Honda Civic SE Auto 1.6v(2001 make). Recently bought it. Had checked the past MOT history, etc. No major faults until now.

Now the problem - I was driving around when I noticed that the steering wheel was not moving when I was trying to reverse. After a little acceleration, it was ok. Then today I was doing a turn in the road. The power steering wheel got totally stuck when it was fully locked and I was reversing. Had to really steer hard to get it back. Then while driving normal, it was ok. But there's a definite problem with the steering wheel which I'm not able to understand.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or is aware of such problem. I'm seriously worried what is wrong and how much it is going to cost me

Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

Last edited by mishbha; 05-15-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steering wheel not moving freely - Please help

Sounds like it has power steering issues. Check your power steering fluid, if its normal then make sure your belt is not slipping. A good way to check for belt slipping is to turn the wheel fully in one direction while stopped, it puts extra load on the belt and it might cause it to slip. Make sure you have a friend watching for it, if it slips the belt needs to be tightened or replaced. Otherwise you might have P/S pump issues.

If it's totally locking the steering wheel you probably shouldn't be driving the car. Thats very dangerous, and that means you might have other issues.
Old 05-15-2010
Registered!!

Hi tbohar,
Thanks for quick response. Much appreciated.
Sorry for sounding a novice, but what do you mean by 'belt'? Which belt should I check for?
Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The power steering belt is the only one you can easily see when you open the hood. It's on the right side of the engine hooked up to the power steering pump. It's a fairly small belt and when it slips you temporarily lose power steering. It's generally accompanied by a squealing noise, and sometimes a burning rubber smell. Good luck, check your fluid first

Crap I just noticed it's not a 7th gen so it might not be exactly the same, but it's probably pretty close.
Old 05-15-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Wait a minute, it's a 2001? You sure it's not a 1.7? What country are you in?
Old 05-15-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tbohar
Wait a minute, it's a 2001? You sure it's not a 1.7? What country are you in?
He says 1.6v which I would assume would mean volts, which means I would assume his car is the mysterious electric 2001 Civic.

/sarcasm
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Awjvail
He says 1.6v which I would assume would mean volts, which means I would assume his car is the mysterious electric 2001 Civic.

/sarcasm
Sorry, what do you mean by 'mysterious'?
It is a 2001 Y reg Automatic Honda Civic 1.6 SE Petrol (UK). Does this help?
Old 05-18-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Yes it does, they didn't put the 1.6 in 2001+ civics here. I don't know anything about that engine though, sorry