Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Another 2001 trans issue, parts or...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Another 2001 trans issue, parts or...?

I am a certified mechanic and have no doubt I can fix it myself, but can't find parts....

Heres the deal. Was my sisters car, but the trans went out and I bought it for 2 grand. It has 142k, but he trans is all that is wrong with it, nice car otherwise. Still think the price was fine. Here's the deal, any salvages I can find are like 950 and up, and with the problems these things had, i would want to rebuild it before I installed it, so Lots of jingle to say the least....
It was slipping on her, and it drove when I bought it, probably a month of sitting from her parking it and me getting it. Drove with a third gear flare, now it slips in all and hardly has any drive at all. The fluid smells ok. It makes a clicking type noise all the time now, even at idle, makes me think it'll need a pump, and I don't hardly rebuild em without replacing the tourqe convertors, so there are the main parts I can't find.
Found a master kit, steels and frictions, and all seals on rockauto.com for only like 140 bucks, but where can I find the others? I can only imagine what Honda would want for them. Know any aftermarket tranny parts makers that might have em? I am also not opposed to swapping to a manual, but I don't want to spend a fortune, and my car is auto now, so I need everything, like inside console, axles?, shifter parts, etc. I also don't want to frankenstein it, I don't want any check engine lights after, so I would probably need the pcm too....my car is an 01 ex, has the 1.7 vtec, us mkt car, not j spec...