Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Thinking about buying a 7th gen but it has some issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RemyXD is an unknown quantity at this point
Thinking about buying a 7th gen but it has some issues...

First off, my name is remy I'm new to this forum but however I am not new to Honda.

Anyway, I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 2002 civic si EP3 but there are a few questions I had.

1) the owner has installed an aftermarket air intake and it caused the check engine light to come on. He said it was the code for "this" and pointed to the sensors right where the intake connects to the motor (o2 sensor?).

How common is it for the CEL to come on after installing an intake and what can I do to fix it?

2) the car is lowered quite a bit, anybody have issues with clearance?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 01-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all
Re: Thinking about buying a 7th gen but it has some issues...

the sensor thing is not a big deal. it wont harm your car at all, but it sucks having the cel light on because of it. you should ask if the stock intake system is included, if so, reinstall it, reset the ecu, and the cel should go away. then if you want, install the aftermarket intake again, reset the ecu, and you should be good. if the cel doesnt go away once the stock system is back in, you could have a bad sensor and youd need to replace it. it isnt that big of a problem though.

not that many people on here have the ep3s, but like any car, you will have issues going up ramps, over speed bumps, driving in snow (if you get snow) just depending on how low it is. the suspension on the ep3 is similar to the em2.
Old 01-13-2010
Registered!!

Well I live in south Texas so no worry for snow.

The only thing I'm worried about is that CEL becase of the intake. If I replace the o2 sensor should it fix it or do I need something between the sensor am the intake?
Old 01-13-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

The CEL is because of the intake. The sensors aren't designed to work with the aftermarket intake. The sensor is taking inaccurate readings because it isn't meant to be used with that part and therefore is throwing the CEL.
Old 01-13-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Awjvail
The CEL is because of the intake. The sensors aren't designed to work with the aftermarket intake. The sensor is taking inaccurate readings because it isn't meant to be used with that part and therefore is throwing the CEL.
Right, I was guessing that was the issue. Is there a different sensor or anything I can buy to keep the intake but remove the CEL?
Old 01-13-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Awjvail
Right, I was guessing that was the issue. Is there a different sensor or anything I can buy to keep the intake but remove the CEL?
Old 01-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

What did he do to lower the car? Miles/price?
Old 01-13-2010
Registered!!

Not sure. I'm gonna check under the car before I buy it.

66k miles
talked him down to $6000
Old 01-14-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

The cel... get the code, and research it- make sure in fact only the code for the air intake is being thrown. If there are others, check them out as well.

Ask for the stock intake so you can throw it on if you cant get it working with the aftermarket one, and then sell it $$!