Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Damn! Another issue! Now CEL.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
izotop is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn! Another issue! Now CEL.

ok, on a previous post, I explained that I got a problem flushing my radiator. Some air bubbles would stay inside the system. I did the bleeding procedure again this morning and got rid of a bit of air, but not that much.

Some are still stuck inside.

But now, as I was entering the highway, the check engine light came on.

Could it be related in any way to my coolant system? The foreman at Honda's dealership told me that it has nothing to do...
(This is the 3rd time in 2 months that it comes on)

What do you think?
Old 12-23-2009
Registered!!

Re: Damn! Another issue! Now CEL.

Alright, just to let you know, I got scanned and P0139 popped out: 02 sensor.

Time to go to the stealership and try to pass it under the small warranty that I have left..
Old 12-23-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, if the stealership won't cover it you can always get this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-D...Q5fAccessories

I think it's the right one stream wise. Change it yourself too, it's not all that difficult. You just have to be careful it's very, very sensitive. So don't bang it around, in fact, don't even touch the end of it.
Old 12-23-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

which sensor, primary or secondary? you also need a different sensor if you have 01-03 or 04-05. the later models use expensive wideband sensor. its also possible you may have spilled coolant on the sensor while doing the service, which will kill it quickly.
Old 12-23-2009
Registered!!

In fact, I was told by the mechanics that it is the one near the catalytic converter, so I guess you call it the downstream? If the warranty that offers the dealership doesn't cover it, I'll surely do it myself... But damn, those are expensive for little pieces of metal!
Old 12-23-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

for 01-03, they should only be around $50 each. there are two, one near the header and one in the cat. but depends where theyre located if you have lx or ex.
Old 12-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
for 01-03, they should only be around $50 each. there are two, one near the header and one in the cat. but depends where theyre located if you have lx or ex.
Ok, I should have mentioned it before. It's a coupe DX 2004. The guy where I got it scanned told me that the sensor was worth around 200$CAN (150$US these days) and that it it's worth putting an OEM one even if it's a bit more expensive.

That pretty much answers my question, thanks for your help!
Old 01-03-2010
Registered!!

Re: Damn! Another issue! Now CEL.(UPDATE)

Well, I'm supposed to meet up with the service director on next Wednesday for the recurrent CEL.

I don't know what's happening with that shitty check engine light. It's not steadily on. It illuminates for 3-4 days then shuts down for 2-3 days. It's been following that pattern for a while now. Each time it illuminates, I check the code and it's always the same, P0139.

What do you think would cause this "on and off" pattern? If the 02 sensor were really bad, wouldn't the CEL be steadily on?
Old 01-04-2010
Premium Member

no, o2 sensors can have "slow response" as they age which can cause the engine light to come and go. one time mine stayed off for a week, then started randomly coming on til i changed the sensor. the sensors rarely have complete failure unless you spilled some corrosive chemical on it or something.
Old 01-04-2010
Registered!!

Alright, another piece of knowledge acquired. Pretty useful when you argue with the service guy at Honda's. They always want to bring you beyond where your knowledge stops so that they can tell you bullshit..

Thanks again!