Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/c fan blower not working

Old 12-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hot in hawaii is an unknown quantity at this point
A/c fan blower not working

I have a 04 Honda civic lx . A/C was working fine last night. This morning turned it on and fan wasn't blowing at all. Defrost not working too. Does anybody have a clue to what's going on here with my problem? Where shall i start to look?
Old 12-19-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: A/c fan blower not working

Search around the site, if the fan is not working at all search "transistor" something opens up on them (no one has said for certain what opens up I think it may be a thermal cut off)

It is a simple fix, I would not go with the resistor though... I would try to find out exactly what the open part actually is and get a replacement or replace the transistor as a unit.

Last edited by CraigW; 12-19-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if that doesnt work, may need a new blower motor which is usually cheap for a used one and easy to change.
Old 01-06-2010
Registered!!

hot in hawaii is an unknown quantity at this point

Located blower heater transistor. Checked continuity. Open circuit found. Changed transisitor with new one ($45.00 from dealer). Now my wife is chillin in ride. Thanks guys couldn't do it with out you. By the way, the resistor went bad because there was very little air going through the very dirty, clogged, and fillty a/c in-cabin filter. Will not to forget to changed that every 12,000. Aloha braddahs...........
Old 01-06-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

There is something that open on these units and causes loss of blower operation. I read once that it was a thermal cut off (can't confirm)

If the cabin filter was plugged it may have caused heat to build up and open the TCO. The transistor is cooled by the blowers air just like the old blower resistor units used to be.
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

roberje is an unknown quantity at this point

AC fan was working fine last night and now it doesn't. Turn on the speed control switch and the fans come on for a few seconds and then they cut off? 2003 Honda civis
Old 10-15-2014
Registered!!

phanhoang16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: A/c fan blower not working

One day my honda civic 2002 A/C blower doesnt work anymore. Rearding on ur suggestions about blower fan resistor when the A/C blower stop working, i replace it and it work smoothly again.I would say thanks to u guys. some one say, when this happen, 99% because of ac blower fan resistor which a common issue for honda civic or accord.