Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

one headlight leaking, again

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
one headlight leaking, again

i thought this would never happen, but turns out my pass side oem headlamp is leaking water, even after a short carwash i could see the fog. the vent hole on both lights is open like it should be, and all the sockets are sealed with their o-rings. i have also taken the lights off once before and completely sealed the outer seams with a thick layer of butyl tape (that sticky, waterproof window sealer stuff) i have no idea how water can get in! the last time i took it off, there was water pouring out like at least 20 drops. i oven dried it, sealed again, and had no issues til today cause its normally all sunny every day. i guess its coming off the car again, but what else can i do? theyre already sealed with the oem goo inside, AND the windoweld butyl on the outside! im thinking of just buying a new pair and forget about this crazyness. everytime i try it doesnt work. i think once you open these lights even once, they will never seal perfectly again.
Old 11-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
Re: one headlight leaking, again

Did you silicone the seams when you put them back together or just use the factory remaining goop? I would think the tape would prevent any seepage thru the seam, but if there is the perfect location with a gap in the sealant and a bubble in the tape then it will always leak. I don't see how water could get in anywhere but thru the seam from a carwash or rain event.
Old 11-28-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

omg, i took the light off to dry it, and water was coming in from the turn signal socket! when i took it out, the whole socket and even the bulb had water all over it. and when i looked above, there was water dripping from the frame to the back of the socket. somehow it was getting in, despite the rubber sealing ring. so i but the butyl tape all around the socket to make sure it was water tight. i think i should also add more inside the light, cause alot of the stock goo came out when i opened em. so i think it will still leak in the future until i seal the edges again. but at least i found the problem.
Old 11-29-2009
wut y0u kn0w ab0ut them teXas b0ys...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light

I remember opening one of my headlights and there was a wholeeeeee lot of water inside of it. Made the headlight pretty heavy...I thought i had fixed my issue but 1 still gets somewhat fogged after a good rain =\
Old 11-29-2009
Premium Member

check the two bulb sockets, and seal those up in the back. and make sure the air vent has its cover on it, otherwise water gets in thru there too. if those dont work, time to reseal inside the two halves. the oem goo stuff only works the first time, then starts to fall apart and you lose some too when opening them.
Old 11-29-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I have to change my headlight fluid too
Old 11-29-2009
Premium Member

it was pouring out when i turned the headlight upsidedown!
Old 11-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

when i opened mine up, i never put them in the oven. i just slowly worked my way around the entire light to get them apart. since the 'black gum' wasnt heated up or viscous, it stayed intact pretty good. even though most of it stayed in place, i still never trusted it so when i sealed them back shut, i put a very thick coat of exterior window/door clear silicone around it. you never see the silicone until the hood is up, but with it being clear silicone and doing a good job making a nice silicone bead, you dont even notice it. at least i know theyre 100% sealed (so far anyway.)

also, i remember you saying you have the super bright 'hot' bulbs as your turn signals. do you think the signal housing that is burned and deformed a bit has anything to do with the leak? is it coming in through any part of the deformity?
Old 11-30-2009
Premium Member

the deformation is only on the chrome trim, not the actual black rear housing. and you coupes are lucky with your soft black goo. we have strong and solid grey goo that is rock hard unless you spend alot of time with a heatgun.