Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Side Molding Coming Loose

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
highwayman is an unknown quantity at this point
Side Molding Coming Loose

the side molding on my '04 civic sedan is coming loose where the front and rear doors meet. the small clamp that holds it in place in the hole in the door is broken. i have the replacement clips but i'm wondering if it can be replaced from the outside or do i have to remove the panel to get at it from inside the car. thanks.
Old 11-20-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Side Molding Coming Loose

need to remove the door panel to pop out the whole piece. i wouldnt try bending it from outside.
Old 11-20-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
need to remove the door panel to pop out the whole piece. i wouldnt try bending it from outside.
thats what i was afraid of. is there a link somewhere on here on how to remove those panels? do i need a special tool to remove the window opener (i don't have pwr windows). thanks.
Old 11-20-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ya theres a tool for the window, most auto store carry it. other than that, its pretty easy. just pry off the plastic cover behind the door handle on top, then remove the two screws behind it. detatch the door handle from the metal bar by unhooking the clip, then pull it off. pry off the arm rest lower plastic cover, and there are two screws inside there. once those are off, you can just pull the door off. there are clips all along the outside edges so just reach in and pull. once its loose, push the panel up and then out. unplug any wire harness, if any. remove the plastic cover inside and you should see the clips for the molding.
Old 11-21-2009
Registered!!

ya theres a tool for the window, most auto store carry it. other than that, its pretty easy. just pry off the plastic cover behind the door handle on top, then remove the two screws behind it. detatch the door handle from the metal bar by unhooking the clip, then pull it off. pry off the arm rest lower plastic cover, and there are two screws inside there. once those are off, you can just pull the door off. there are clips all along the outside edges so just reach in and pull. once its loose, push the panel up and then out. unplug any wire harness, if any. remove the plastic cover inside and you should see the clips for the molding.

thanks. once i had the door panel off and looked at how the moulding was clipped into place, i realized that i didn't have to take it off after all. the clips slide over the piece on the back of the moulding and then just push it (the moulding with the clip on it) back into the hole in the door. at least now i know how to remove the door panels. i appreciate the info.
Old 11-21-2009
Premium Member

its really hard to slide off tho. i tried that when i was changing one of mine and it woundnt move. also didnt want to scratch the paint.
Old 11-22-2009
Registered!!

its really hard to slide off tho. i tried that when i was changing one of mine and it woundnt move. also didnt want to scratch the paint.
the two clips i was replacing were already broken. also, they were both at easy spots to get to, where the back and front doors meet.