Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird issues (check engine, fuel gauge, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
izotop is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird issues (check engine, fuel gauge, etc)

Hi,
I've searched the forum for similar issues, but haven't found what I was looking for.

It's a Civic 2004, DX coupe.

I've had my car for about 1½ month. In fact, I should say half a month. The car has spent the first month of ownership at the dealer for transmission issues. Happily, these issues are gone and my transmission has been rebuilt under warranty.

During the first few days of ownership, when I got to refuel the car, my check engine light came on about 10 minutes after I did so. I looked in the owners manual and read that it could be my gas cap being not tightened enough. So I tightened it properly (even though I thought it was tightened enough), and then reset the code by disconnecting the battery for a few seconds. It then turned off. So, the car then went to the dealership as I mentioned for 1 month. When I received it one week ago, the light was still off, so I concluded that the supposedly problem was gone.

Then I refuelled 2 days ago, being really careful to tighten the gas cap more than enough.

Yesterday, while driving on the highway, the light came on again... I don't want to reset the code that time since I don't want to bury the problem. I'd rather solve it!

It might help you if told you that my car runs great with no apparent engine problem. It starts right away when I turn on the key. The idle is fine. The engine is responsive. I want to get rid of the problem.
So, it looks like I'm experiencing another issue.

Today, I went for another ride.

I've not own that car for a while, so you'll be better placed to tell me if the next issue really is one.

Since I fuelled the car 2 days ago, 130km later, my fuel gauge has not moved from the top. The needle is still above the last mark.

Am I crazy or is my car really fuel efficient? (This is the first time I fill it full)

for the check engine light, I thought about a defective gas cap.. Now, for the fuel gauge, I'm a bit screwed...

I'm a bit desperate. I sold my old car to get a better one, and since I bought it, I'm only experiencing problems...
Old 11-16-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Weird issues (check engine, fuel gauge, etc)

You may be causing the codes if you over fill the tank. You should just stop when it clicks off.

Unless you get the codes read you will have no idea. You could get it read or reset it and change your fueling habits to see if that resolves it.

The gas gauge may stay at full for quite a while before starting to drop.

Last edited by CraigW; 11-16-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

fuel gauge usually stays at max for upto 100 miles before it starts dropping. if the fuel gauge is inaccurate once it drops from full, you need a new sending unit. as for the engine light, the gas cap may just need to be replaced. try a new one from honda, alot of times the old one just doesnt seal well enough. other than that, you may have an evap leak somewhere. get the code checked out and it will tell you.
Old 11-16-2009
Registered!!

I talked to someone today from my Honda dealership, and he told me that if the CEL comes on for a loose or missing gas cap, even if I unplug the battery and hence reset the ecu, the light is going to come on again soon or later and that I have to get it cleared by the dealer. Is that right?

I just get the feeling that they want to make money over me...
Old 11-17-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

A 1 minute battery disconnect should certainly clear the cel.

Do you have a warr left on the used purchase that may cover the cel issue ??

You could get the codes read by a 3rd party to get an idea of what it's concerning.

Also: Not sure how much gas was put in, but if you somehow got liquid into your vapor canistor you could have a re-occuring cel issue.

Last edited by CraigW; 11-17-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
A 1 minute battery disconnect should certainly clear the cel.

Do you have a warr left on the used purchase that may cover the cel issue ??

You could get the codes read by a 3rd party to get an idea of what it's concerning.

Also: Not sure how much gas was put in, but if you somehow got liquid into your vapor canistor you could have a re-occuring cel issue.
I spoke the the sales' director yesterday and he told me that there was no warranty on the emission system.

Plus I didn't overfill the car. At the second click, I stopped filling it. And anyway, my parents own a 2001 civic, and never had that issue. Knowing my parents (not really careful with cars), they probably overfilled the car more than once!
Old 11-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is federal emissions warranty (even says this in the honda supplement manual) for many different parts upto 8 yrs/80k miles. off hand i know the cat converter is covered, i think also the egr valve and few other fuel related parts of the evap system. i can look thru the book and pick them out.
Old 11-17-2009

Get the code read it will help to narrow.
A lot of places will read the code for free.