Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Civic Si Downshifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benzeta is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic Si Downshifting Issue

I just bought a 2003 Civic Si. Before buying it, the 5th gear was replaced in the transmission.

When driving in the first three gears, there seems to be some kind of resistance pushing back on the forward momentum of the car, and I can hear what sounds like slight metal to metal contact.

It is especially noticeable when I'm downshifting from third to second, or just driving in first gear. The noise is definitely not "normal"... and I'm concerned because the car just had transmission work done to it.

There is no impedance while up-shifting, and it drives really smooth other than when downshifting or driving slowly in lower gears.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
Old 11-04-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 Civic Si Downshifting Issue

LoL drive it till you need a new tranny Then replace it... I think it would be expensive to take a tranny apart and repair it... and if it's not causing you major problems don't worry about it until the time comes. When they repaired it you would hope they would check everything out. The only thing you should do is replace the transmission fluid to see if it helps.
Old 11-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benzeta is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2003 Civic Si Downshifting Issue

Ya, it was almost $1500 to replace the 5th gear, so I see what you're saying. But it came with a 1 year powertrain warranty, so I plan on taking it to the tranny shop tomorrow... just thought I'd try to get an idea of what's wrong before going there.