Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Keyless remote programming - '03 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L A Montano is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Keyless remote programming - '03 Civic EX

I put a new battery in my 2003 Civic EX remote for keyless entry and need to program it. The owner's manual says take it to the dealer (fat chance of that!). Any ideas or experience? I believe the remote is OK because I did not drop it into water or otherwise mistreat it.
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough
Re: Keyless remote programming - '03 Civic EX

This procedure clears the transmitter codes and creates new ones, so you must program all remotes at the same time, even if one or more is already working.

Enter the car, and close all doors.
Each of the following steps must be completed within five seconds of completing the previous step. If you take longer or make a mistake, start the entire procedure over again.
Insert the key into the ignition, and hold one remote in your left hand. Whenever the instructions say to press the LOCK button, you should press the lock button on the remote for about a second and then release it. Perform each of the following three steps in order, then repeat all three steps two more times, for a total of three times each:
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, marked II.
2. Press the LOCK button.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position, marked I. Do this three times!
Next, turn the ignition switch to the ON position (II) for a fourth time. Press the LOCK button again. The door locks should now make a cycling sound, indicating that the system has entered Programming Mode.
Press the LOCK button one more time to program this remote.
If you have other remotes to program, press the LOCK button on each one in turn. The door locks should make the cycling sound after you press LOCK on each remote. You may program up to three remotes, and they must all be programmed within ten seconds of each other.Turn the ignition off and remove the key. The remotes are now programmed and may be tested.If you've got a trunk/hatch release, hold the button for this function for a few seconds.

Last edited by rednwhite04; 08-16-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: broke it up a little bit