Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 DX - Key won't go all the way into the driver's side lock cylinder.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sidesicle is an unknown quantity at this point
03 DX - Key won't go all the way into the driver's side lock cylinder.

This is an issue that has progressively gotten worse over the past few weeks until about a week ago when it fully seized up. Previously, I was able to get the key to go in after jiggling it or flipping it and trying the other side. Now, however, try as I might, the key will not go in fully and I cannot unlock my driver's side door. With no power locks/keyless entry, I have to unlock my passenger's side door (which unlocks with no issue) and crawl in to unlock my driver's side.

I have tried graphite lubricant with no success or change in my issue, so I'm pretty sure it's now a mechanical issue with the lock cylinder. The way I see it, I have a few options...

A) Go to a Honda dealership/service center and have them wholly resolve the issue.

B) Try, with the help of my more mechanically inclined friends, to replace the lock cylinder myself.

C) Get an aftermarket keyless entry system installed.

Obviously, option A would be the surest bet to resolve my issue, but at what kind of cost?
Being that my friends are much more familiar with German cars than Japanese, I'm concerned their expertise won't be fully utilized. Not that we couldn't figure it out, but what about rekeying the new cylinder to match my key?
Option C would be nice to have in general, but it doesn't resolve the issue directly, is undoubtedly expensive, and could cause a major snafu if it fails in the future (which from my searching the forums, happens a lot)

Per this website, http://www.alldatadiy.com/recalls/ , there is a TSB in place for this issue, though what that means and to what extent Honda addresses/covers the issue is still a mystery. I'm not a subscriber, so I can't get into the detailed analysis, but the article header reads "03-068 OCT 04 Body-Door lock cylinders bind"

So, thanks for reading this long winded post in advance. I like to think I did my research on the forum already so as to not waste time making this post. I'm really just looking for suggestions on solutions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2009
Registered!!

hypnotic20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 03 DX - Key won't go all the way into the driver's side lock cylinder.

Go with option A, the car is useless if you cant get into it. Not to mention its a lock problem, not really a car mechanics problem, your friends might not know squat about locks and how the civic key works.
Old 08-05-2009
Registered!!

Sidesicle is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 03 DX - Key won't go all the way into the driver's side lock cylinder.

Thanks for the input! Now I just cross my fingers and pray I don't have to take out a loan to have work done at a dealership. Haha.