Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Will this quiet down my car?

Old 07-26-2009
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Will this quiet down my car?

Right now I have a custom 3 inch exhaust. it is completely straight with only a muffler at the end to quiet it down.

lately i have been getting pulled quite bit because my car is way too loud

i recently contacted a local custom fabrication shop and they said they will add a catalytic, and a resonator to quiet down the car

my question is, will a cat and resonator actually make my car quieter?

as far as i know a cat is only for pollution and a resonator is only for resonating (which i imagine will indeed quiet down my car, but not much)

what can be done to quiet down the car if these options arent suffice? (granted i want to keep the 3 inch)

aaand for the record, no this is not for my civic, but rather for my audi s4(not that it would make a diff)
Old 07-26-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will this quiet down my car?

usually yes. cat has a very fine mesh screen that restricts flow and separates the air. resonator usually works with the muffler to cut down on louder frequencies. these are really your only options without going down to 2.25 inch. the engine just cant flow enough air with the 3 inch. now if you had a big turbo, the exhaust would be almost like stock sound.
Old 07-26-2009
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Re: Will this quiet down my car?

i was kinda hoping you would answer, gearbox. youve been helpful to me(and im sure many others) since the day ive joined the site. thanks

edit- just another quick question. i have a magnaflow muffler. any quieter, but still performance oriented muffler?