Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Visors and HVAC vents loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slickone is an unknown quantity at this point
Visors and HVAC vents loose

Both the visors and vent deflectors on my '04 EX are too loose and won't stay where I put them. Has anyone come up with a good fix for either?

For the vents, I thought about sticking some velco soft side down in the bottom of the vent hole, so the deflector touches it and keeps it from moving on it's own. Or else taking the deflector out and putting some silicone on the hinge. How do you remove the center trim panel section that's about a foot wide that surrounds the vents,AC controls,radio? Things get brittle and break easy after a few years of heat, so I want to know before I start pulling on things. Then how do the deflectors come out? Do you just yank them out?

Anyone have any idea on how to fix the visors? I know this happens to all of them, so surely someone has thought of something clever.
Old 06-26-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visors and HVAC vents loose

my vents are loose too. some people have taken apart the vent trim and put small amount of silicone on the hinges. the outer vents just yank off, the middle ones in the radio bazel are harder but come out the same way. it helps to pull out the whole console whichis held with clips. it should pull out, but if your car is stock it will still have the two screws holding it from the bottom. so you may need to take apart the lower dash trims to get to the screws.
Old 06-26-2009
Registered!!

westcali_playa is an unknown quantity at this point

yea mine are a bit loose too, its annoying
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

Has anyone found a fix for either of these problems?
Old 07-03-2010
Registered!!

TXFred is an unknown quantity at this point

I fixed my center vents. It worked so well that I made a youtube video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTYAAXAmK_8
Old 11-12-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the video (and linking it here), TXFred! Sorry it took so long to post back. A few comments...

Since you say yours ended up too stiff for the horizontal adjustment, I was thinking maybe nylon washers would work better. They wouldn't have as much friction, and could easily be sanded down to whatever thickness you want, for exactly how stiff you want the adjustment. Seems like it would be a little difficult to slice a small o-ring in half through the cross section. My horizontal movement is fine anyway, never moving on it's own. It's just the vertical that's loose on mine.

Do you think you could post here what size o-ring you used? If I remember correctly, Lowes and Home Depot sell o-rings separately. I know they sell the nylon washers.

Thanks again. Now see if you can figure out a fix for the loose sun visors. They're way more irritating to me than the loose vents.
Old 12-02-2010
Registered!!

TXFred is an unknown quantity at this point

Slickone,

The O-rings for the horizontal adjusters was 1/8 ID, 1/4" OD, and 1/16" thick.

The vertical o-ring, I noticed now that I only gave the R number for it. The dimensions for the R-07 o-ring are 3/8" ID, 9/16" OD and 3/32" thick. I'll add these dimensions to the video.

Hope this helps!

Fred