Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 civic: My driver's side window just dropped down when i pressed power window...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lapchern is an unknown quantity at this point
02 civic: My driver's side window just dropped down when i pressed power window...

My driver's side window just dropped down when i tapped the power window to go down and it won't go back up. i do hear a motor noise when i press down on it still, but not for going up. based on my searches, it appears that the mechanical regulator or motor component (which come together as 1 piece) is busted...

honda has quoted me for about $500 parts and labor... a random mechanic i called said he can do it for about $250.

My question is... is it hard to replace this thing? if it's not that hard, then i will probably risk saving $250 to get this thing replaced rather than blow $500.

i've already replaced my power door locks twice (once on each side, around 60k miles and honda wouldn't do goodwill for me) and i'm getting pretty tired of taking my door apart and muscling certain parts of the door loose.
Old 05-27-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 02 civic: My driver's side window just dropped down when i pressed power window..

You will need to look and see if the glass is still attached to the regulator. Someone mentioned a plastic part coming loose ?? Is the window tight up and down or can you move it by hand ??

The access holes for the glass mounting bolts are near the bottom of travel. You may be able to gently assist it by hand while trying the "up"

Reach around the front face of regulator and make sure cable is present and has tension.

The factory replacement procedure was on the site I thought.
Old 05-27-2009
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough
Re: 02 civic: My driver's side window just dropped down when i pressed power window..

The DIY for removing the window regulator is in my signature
Old 08-13-2010
Registered!!

dhype02civic is an unknown quantity at this point

very easy bro. i did that already. get the parts for only $70. it was 2 years ago. You can do it. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

*ahem*

date check
Old 08-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
*ahem*

date check
Old 09-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nice

Sorry to bump up an old thread. But I fixed a similar problem a few years ago on my 2001 Civic. If you hear whirring, stop messing with the windows! It is probably effing up the plastic spool.

The window regulators are expensive. If the cable has snapped, it's easy to repair and only requires braided cable, and two cable stops. You can buy this at a hardware store. I spent $5 total repairing a snapped cable. Don't spend $70 or $200 to buy a whole new one. I have a Japanese made Civic and it uses a different regulator part than the U.S. made Civics. They are much more expensive.
Old 09-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Edited for irrelivance.

Last edited by Mad Dog Tannen; 09-14-2010 at 03:43 AM.