Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 Civic only clicking when...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yoj6179 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2006 Civic only clicking when...

My 2006 automatic Honda civic was running just fine and has 37,000 miles on it. I parked to eat and i cut the car off and just ran the radio for about 10 minutes. Well of course it didn't start back. The only sound it was making was a very rapid clicking when trying to start. The lights were bright and I figure it was not the battery. I was able to get it jumped off (which I am being told is not a good thing to do anymore) and get home and It has restarted with no problems now for 2 days. I had the battery tested and it is said to have plenty of life left. I had my 30,000 done and everything was said to look great. Any ideas as to what this may be? The battery did have some corrosion but I didn't think that would be an issue. I just didn't figure a Civic with 37,000 miles would be having alternator or starter problems. Any advise is appreciated.

Joy
Old 05-26-2009
I'm The Shit

david02civic should not be trusteddavid02civic should not be trusteddavid02civic should not be trusteddavid02civic should not be trusteddavid02civic should not be trusteddavid02civic should not be trusted
Re: 2006 Civic only clicking when...

Just a weak battery at the time. It may of had the juice to have the lights on but not crank the car. Just watch how long you leave your radio or accessories on when the car isn't running. You should be fine
Old 05-26-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Negative, rapid clicking is a sure sign of a seized starting motor. Is it really humid where you are? A solenoid is a magnet that moves inside another magnet when electrically charged and this is what moves the gear over to your engine to start it up. The rapid clicking is the starting motor trying to engage the gear but it's seized up a little.

To fix next time it happens:
Carry a hammer, wrench, tire iron or anything hard with you and look under your hood. Follow the positive battery wire out from the battery (red one) until it hooks into a small cylinder jobby. This is your starting motor, beat the bejesus out of it with the wrench a few times to unseize it and when you try to start the car it should work.

To fix permanently:
You need a new starting motor.....for some reason. I've never seen them fail after just that many miles but you killed it somehow. See if it's under warranty, if not look for a used/rebuilt one. You'll only be able to get it started by beating on it maybe 5-10 times, after that it's gonzo.
Old 03-13-2013
Registered!!

estabanovich is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2006 civic with about 159,000 miles. I have had trouble with a sluggish starter motor. The first time it happened, Dec 2012, the cold weather seemed to have precipitated the trouble. Since my battery was under the free replacement part of the warranty, I installed a new battery.
About 2 weeks ago, Honda replaced both front axels and flushed the tranny. The dealer checked the charging and starting system and declared no problems and that the battery might have a bad cell. I replaced that new battery under warranty.
The first time the starting motor failed to work, I used one of those portable jumpers. It worked. The second time was this past Sunday evening. AAA responded. The driver connected the jumper from the truck to the Civic. He must have tried the key 15-20 times before the starter rotated enough to spin freely. He stated with certainty that the starter was a fault. I agree. He advised I drive directly to the dealer, which I did. Guess what? The entire next day the car behaved perfectly. But, of course. The dlr suggested, that the next time it will not spin, and that I not try to start it. I'm to have AAA bring the car in. Nevertheless, this week I will check the voltage drop right at the starter. I suspect the commutator is cruddy, or that a bushing is worn, allowing the armature to drag on the fields. My service invoice (no charge) says only that the charging system was checked, not the starter. You'd think the dealer would want to sell me a new starter. Hmmm...

Last edited by estabanovich; 03-13-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: to note this part of Calif is not humid.
Old 03-13-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

FYI, your car is an 8th gen civic, but it's ok you posted here because we're about helping.

I would agree you have a starter issue and that it should be tested based on what you have said in your post.
Old 03-13-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Well, I am not going to argue that starter could be your issue..however i had the clicking issue and it was my battery(2007), these 8th gens have some sorry stock batteries and depending on the situation if you ever drained it once it will be weak for a while, Mine would read as being good but would not hold a charge.. usually with dead battery you dont get anything at all when turning the key, however my car did the rapid clicking(my first thought was shyt my starter is shot) but i wasted time checking it cause it was my battery.

So im not saying it is one or the other but i would check them both out.