Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01, civic one issue after another

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manster972 is an unknown quantity at this point
01, civic one issue after another

It seems like one after another, in the last five months I have replaced both front struts, knuckle & control arm on the front passenger side, both front wheel bearings, and did a tranny swap that did go as planned. First I replaced the transmission(Auto) on my 01, LX with a used one from a local recycler, I ordered one from a 2004 with appox. 58K on it, so I thought, What I ended up getting was a 03 with 97K, Unfortunately found out about this after I ready had it installed, when I noticed that I was shifting harshly, since It had a 6 month warranty I called them only to find out that this wasn’t the transmission I ordered. The story I got was that tranny was pulled out of the car after I ordered it, and that when they pulled it they noticed that it was damaged, so they substituted it with the another one. The problem here is that they never bothered to call me and ask me if I wanted he other one. After more than 3 weeks they said that they could find an 04 or 05 Tranny that I was requesting from them to replace it, since by the way it was determined by a local transmission shop that I went to at their expense to have checked, and concluded that this transmission has problems & most likely will need to be repaired or replaced soon. I at least got my money refunded in full for the transmission but they did nothing for me when it came to compensating me for the money I paid to my mechanic for the install, and they said I could keep that crappy transmission, and now I back to square one again, looking to get the transmission replaced again. Second I’m getting a Creaking sound from the front end again, I had issue last winter and it was taken of see above. I first noticed it after I had the tranny swapped could something be loose or need to be adjusted, or could it a be the control arm on the drivers side that need to be replaced. I haven’t been able to find the time to jack the car up & take a look at it, plus it been raining on & off jut about every other day. And last but not least I’m getting this high pitched frequency like sound usually occurs a highway speeds, I know it not the front wheel bearings because I just recently got them replaced. I can’t tell exactly where it’s coming from but it’s become really annoying. I’m just wondering if anyone has a similar issue. I have a few more minor issues but I’ll leave that for another day.
Old 05-10-2009
Registered!!

korndo1284 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 01, civic one issue after another

Where is the High Pitched Sound coming from?
Old 05-10-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

creaking souind in the front could be the LCA bushings or the sway bar bushings if they are not lubed. if the trans is shifting well (no slippage), then try just draining/refill the trans fluid with honda oem atf z1 a couple times. maybe they just used a different fluid which does make it shift harder.
Old 05-11-2009
Registered!!

I hope to have someone look into the front end Creak & the high pitched noise later this week, as for the transmission I supplied them with Honda ATF, so I can rule out the wrong fluid being used, but I did check the transmission dip stick this weekend & the fluid level seemed to be a bit high side. Could to much fluid cause shifting issues?
Old 05-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it might yeah. its never good to have it overfilled. a lil bit above the full line is okay. make sure to check the level when the car is warmed up and running.
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

insomnak8702 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a similiar issue. it was kinda of a whining and something scraping noise. and it cost me a tranny rebuild
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

OK, so today while I was driving to work I turned off the radio when that annoying high pitched sound came up again, it seems to happen when I'm on the highway at 60+ mph, Since traffic was pretty light this morning there was no other noises from other cars to deal with, so I was able to really focus on this annoying sound. The one thing I was able to pinpoint is that when going at highway speeds if I let off the gas the sound would go away,then reume soon as hit the gas again. I kept on doing this on & off to make sure this was the case. any suggestions on what could this be?