Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Odd Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MigB is an unknown quantity at this point
Odd Problem

Hi guys, a noob here. So i have an odd problem. Before I start I want to say that I have already replaced the Stop Light Switch on the car.

Symptoms are car abs light is on, the car's break lights won't work, and finally the car will not get out of park.

The odd thing is that the issue seems to be intermittent. The break lights and car will not get out of park when the abs light comes on. And everything will function properly when the abs light is off. The light is on most of the time however.

I recently replaced the alternator... the POS shop that did it tried to rip me off. To cut a long story short they blew the fuse to my battery fuse and tried to get me to "diagnose" the problem. The car had no electrical power what so ever.

It's a shame i was not there to pick up the car or that's the first thing that i would have looked at with the car having those symptoms. Instead i just had my mother tow the car home. When i got home i saw the fuse was blown... Hate scum bag shops like that.

Anyways does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

O more info... i replaced the alt because i figured the alt was overcharging my car. My srs and abs lights would blink on and off. My lights would shut off for a split second. At one point the car actually stalled and died on me.

The car would turn over but was not turning on. After about a minute my car turned on and I was off..... weird thing is the car lost all power for a split second because my radio reset and was asking for the security code as if i had disconnected the battery. After this while driving the srs and abs lights would flicker and lights would ficker as well when i pressed the breaks.... and it did this sporadically.

After the alt the car is not doing that anymore.... but 1 day after the replacement the abs light is on, car wont go out of park and break lights will not work. ALl of this is intermittent.

Weird I know...