Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Hybrid" air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s10xtremist is an unknown quantity at this point
"Hybrid" air intake?

'01 EX Cpe 5spd.

My girl wants to get rid of all the intake muffler crap, but keep her stock filter box. Has anyone done this, and if so, got pics? I know I can get that ricey dryer vent tube stuff from Autozone and make my own. But I was thinking something nicer like aluminum tubing. Where would I find thin-wall aluminum tubing?
Old 01-04-2009
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Hybrid" air intake?

Why not just buy an ebay intake and use a quality air filter like AEM dryflow? And what's "intake muffler crap"?

If you have any further intake questions, please, oh please refer to THIS.
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

s10xtremist is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: "Hybrid" air intake?

Originally Posted by 2005EM2
Why not just buy an ebay intake and use a quality air filter like AEM dryflow? And what's "intake muffler crap"?

If you have any further intake questions, please, oh please refer to THIS.
I know, I know... I hated coming on here and starting out with a freakin intake question. That's why I made sure I mentioned the whole "hybrid" idea. I'm a firm believer that stock paper filters filter more effectively than pretty much any other type of filter media. Sure, they may not flow as well, but on an otherwise stock engine the extra flow isn't needed and I'd rather play it as safe as possible and try and keep out as much dirt as possible. The "intake muffler crap" is what I call the huge ugly assortment of boxes and tubes before the actual filter box over the throttle body. I guess this is also called a "resonator". Since it's there to quiet the sound of the air being sucked into the engine, I refer to it as a muffler.

So, to compromise and have the best of both worlds, we figured we'd keep the factory's design for the filtration method, but ditch all the other ugly stuff leading up to it. BTW, I have an AEM Dry-Flow on my homemade intake on my S10. I sorta made it in a pinch when I took my supercharger off and couldn't find all my stock intake pieces. It works fine, but I've noticed my oil gets dirty sooner than it did with my stock stuff. If we can't find anything sufficient to make a simple, but clean tube from the airbox to the passenger fender/battery area, then plan "B" is to get an eBay SRI and a Dry-Flow. That was my point of posting this- to ask if anyone had done this and if they had pics, and where can I find misc. aluminum tubing to fabricate the necessary piping. Also, does anyone know offhand what the diameter of the hole is in the side of the filter box where the tube connects?