Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

The ultimate Intake FAQ – Intake questions and answers here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Post The ultimate Intake FAQ – Intake questions and answers here!!!

FAQ - The ultimate Intake FAQ – Intake questions and answers here!!!

I’m sick of every noob’s first post being about an intake. This will answer all of your questions so start reading!!

What is an intake?

It replaces your stock air box, which is plastic and has the filter inside.

Why would I want to replace my stock air box?
Maybe a mechanic stripped your screws on it, you want to free up space in your engine bay, you want a shiny pipe, everyone else is doing it before they jump off the bridge.

What does an aftermarket intake look like?
From your intake manifold, it’s a metal pipe with a filter on the end.

What is the difference between a short ram and a cold air intake?
A short ram intake is a short pipe, so short in fact it keeps the filter in your engine bay. A cold air intake is a longer pipe, or multi section pipe that places the filter closer to the ground and away from all the heat in your engine bay- usually behind the bumper.

Is an aftermarket intake bad for you car?
Yes and no. Simple maintenance will need to be done from time to time- clean your filter every so often so your engine continues to have clean air to suck up and burn- this is the case with your stock intake. What you need to look out for is hydrolocking- sucking water up and killing your engine. This only happens with CAI when you submerge the nose of your car in water, or hit a puddle and waves splash up. If your driving in normal rain with a CAI you will not hydrolock- its pretty rare, but it does happen every now and again to people in the world.

Will my sensors still work and everything?
Yes, all intakes have spots for your sensors to plug into.

What intake is the best?
There isn’t a “BEST.” I have an AEM V2. I like it. Others have secret weapon intakes, or fujita, or injen. They are all basically the same- a pipe with a filter on the end with holes for your sensors. Which one you want depends on your preferences like “I want a blue intake” or, “I want an intake without a brand name on it”

Why not buy a generic ebay brand intake?
The filter is trash. If you go this route pick up a better filter. Hands down the AEM Dry Flow filter is the best. Why? It just is. Go to their website for the facts.

Anudder question, would anything change if i told u the car was automatic/standard? like are there differences?
Some intake manufactures will have two different models- one of auto and one for manual, the reason is because the transmission is slightly a different size, and therefore the path the pipe takes is affected. That holds true for CAI, but for short rams, I have yet to see a specivic between auto and manual. If the intake your looking at is differentiated between auto or manual, get the proper model for your transmission.

This one says it will give you a better power gain than this other one- is it true?
No, the power gains on the packaging are like the characters on cereal boxes, they are fake.

Someone told me that because the intake allows more air in the engine, ur gas goes bye bye....however, every other place says it increases gas mileage and hp and all that. so whats the deal??
You wont notice the changes to your gas mileage. Really.. I calculate my gas mileage every tank and you have way more variance between your driving style from tank to tank- even if you drive all highway, that you wouldnt be able to isolate any changes in MPG, they are that small.

But it says its dyno proven!...?
What did I just say? What kinda dyno.. what conditions was it tested in.. what other mods are on the car… was it the same exact car… you don’t know, and it probably wasn’t- its really hard to test in the exact same humidity and temperature twice.

How do I install it?
Read the directions. Yes there are DIY’s out there on it. Quickly: remove stock intake, attach new intake pipe(s), put filter on end, insert sensors.

Should I do an idle relearn after I’m done installing?
Sure, you changed the way it sucks up air so its probably sucking air at a different rate- good idea. To do this disconnect your battery for 10 mins, reconnect and start your car. Make sure nothing is running (fans, radio, accessories, headlights) and leave the car alone for 5-10 minutes without blipping the gas pedal. Turn off, restart and drive around- enjoy your intake.

i'm thinking of getting a intake...but i dont kno wut...aem...k&n...etc....want sumthinz dat doez best to da car...loud sound...n...putz out da most hp....so wut do u guys think?
Each one of these questions is based on preference. Please don’t ask them, they’ve been asked before and there isn’t a definitive answer because they are all OPINION based- so stop it!

What other questions do you have? Type them here and they shall be answered!!

Last edited by TRIZ; 11-03-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: FAQ - The ultimate Intake FAQ – Intake questions and answers here!!!

how do i put an intake on my exhaust??
Old 11-03-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Wrap your lips around it firmly
Old 11-03-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

tried that, all i did was burn my lips....

j/k triz, nice writeup, if only we can get some noobs to read it!!!
Old 11-03-2008
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!!! I'd rep you, but I need to spread some around.
Old 11-03-2008
Premium Member

please post a link to this thread everywhere so they stop asking!!
Old 11-03-2008
Registered!!

cornd0g is an unknown quantity at this point

someone told me that because the intake allows more air in the engine, ur gas goes bye bye....however, every other place says it increases gas mileage and hp and all that. so whats the deal?? if i were to put in a short intake what would i gain/lose?!?!?
Old 11-03-2008
Banned

u will see minimal gains in hp/mileage, but it sounds good!!!
Old 11-03-2008
Registered!!

cornd0g is an unknown quantity at this point

okk thanks =P. anudder question, would anything change if i told u the car was automatic/standard? like are there differences?
Old 11-03-2008
Banned

no, woudlnt change a thing
Old 11-03-2008
Registered!!

ciVictoria will become famous soon enoughciVictoria will become famous soon enough

Weapon R for the win!

I'm actually in the process of cleaning my filter right now.
Old 11-03-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

im still enjoying my secret weapon lol. it really sounds great when you get on it. and the filter is superb. i just cleaned it again, and i need to find another cleaning kit soon lol.
Old 11-03-2008
Premium Member

updated with c0rndogs questions
Old 01-02-2009
Banned

CTR-07286 will become famous soon enoughCTR-07286 will become famous soon enough
Re: The ultimate Intake FAQ – Intake questions and answers here!!!

Hi there,

thank you for all the info about the induction.
i have been battling with an induction for my Type R.

i managed to find one, but my engine light stays on. the senser has been connected, but maybe i need to disconnect the battery for a while???

thanks
Marco
Old 01-04-2009
Premium Member

use a code scanner to figure out what code it is.... if its your intake sensor, then it might be bad, or there is just a messed up seal on it...
Old 01-04-2009
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute

BUMP FOR THE NOOOOOBS on this site!!!

Stop posting "will this.." and "Will that.." and "how much horse..." questions!

TRIZ
Old 01-04-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

will an intake give me more p0w@ than stickers?
Old 01-04-2009
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
will an intake give me more p0w@ than stickers?
No. This shouldn't be a question, dude! Stickers for the win! Remember, more stickers, the more horse
Old 01-04-2009

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 2005EM2
Remember, more stickers, the more horse
i was told my car had ponies...not horses
Old 01-04-2009
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

i was told my car had ponies...not horses
Hmm.. perhaps you're right. It explains the slug-like performance on our cars..

Old 01-04-2009

=]
Old 01-05-2009
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

ok... now i know the colder the air the more dense it is which ultimately equates to greater VTAK pwnage.... but how do I split my intake into twin tubes, one that will replace where my foglight is, and one to be routed into the cabin of my car, because when i cut on the cold air, it blows super cold, now thats better than regular cold right? but since my intake will be sucking up my cold air from inside my car its pretty much like my car has a V8? correct me if i am wrong....

btw i already maxed my car out on APC, flames, and Honda Stickers (one covers my entire roof ), and i have dual exhausts coming all the way from my headers, my engine is a factory freak so i put down like 140hp when it was stock, and last but not least i was thinking about downforce cause without it my car wouldn't be able to put the power to the ground, so i put that double evo wing like this one and i have a body kit that has diffusers, and what not to help me cut through the wind.

but i have to go real quick, i need to refill my VTAK fluid, and buy a new bottle of NO-two (im scientific too). But yeah can someone help a fellow import racer out??

MY INSPIRATION!!! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbZg8QBJaMM

Last edited by LT2004ever; 01-05-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2009
Registered!!

kachunkachunk is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow... what did I just read? That was mindblowing.
Old 01-05-2009

sorry everyone. i took something that was ment to be serious and completely turned it 180...hahaha

back on topic now!
Old 01-05-2009
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough

Where can I get them? =P
Old 01-06-2009
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

sorry everyone. i took something that was ment to be serious and completely turned it 180...hahaha

back on topic now!
yea u did lol, and i didnt help.

SORRY TRIZ
Old 01-23-2009
Registered!!

oscar meza will become famous soon enough

i have a simple noob question to add

when is the right time to clean the filter?
Old 01-23-2009
Premium Member

Clean it when its no longer clean? I'd give you a time in months, but it really depends on your driving conditions. Someone driving though a desert will have to clean their filter much sooner then someone driving around alaska in early summer- the air just has more particles in it that make the filter dirty.
Old 01-26-2009
Registered!!

oscar meza will become famous soon enough

k thanx

i dont live in a desert but it sure looks like it needs to be clean
Old 01-26-2009
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough

I'm wanting to get an intake of some sort just not sure if i should get the CAI, or a short ram. Would you guys do a Weapon R instead of a CAI?

-Thankz

Quick Reply: The ultimate Intake FAQ – Intake questions and answers here!!!