Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Exhaust Manifold... CRACKED!!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eyeheartvtec is on a distinguished road
Exhaust Manifold... CRACKED!!?!?!

hey all! been awhile since ive posted but im basically here everyday learning and acquiring knowledge about my civic. love that baby. so for the past two years or so, ive wanted to put the time, money and effort into my car. however, usually short on cash and with the parents breathing down my neck about how much money i put into my car (fearing that if i get in an accident all the money would be lost and not assessed with the damage), the possibilities of modifying it into the sexy beast it could be has been diminishing.

so recently, my engine has been ticking constantly. thought it was the timing belt or something related but nope. belt isnt worn or anything. so i took her in for a routine oil change last night and got her back today, turns out the exhaust manifold was cracked! i was completely shocked because i never even took that into consideration. mechanic says if replaced with the OEM parts (manifold with built in cat) would come to 1300 with labor. however, ive always been one to DIY any problems with my baby. so i figured, since my mechanic has seen many of these manifolds in our cars go, then its DEFINITELY not worth putting a used one in scrapped from the yard. and the new one will have the unlikely possibility of cracking. again, it is unlikely.

so the way i see it is, if i am going to fork out $1300 dollars for a new OEM part, why not just upgrade the manifold and add a catback? this is my opening! this will allow me to get that little push start i need to finally be able to do what i want with my civic!

overall, im looking for suggestions on what to do, upgrade or stay OEM, and if the suggestion is upgrade, point me into a direction that maybe a few of you 7thgen'ers have gone with choosing the catback and manifold.

i am driving an auto 02 LX sedan so its a d17a1

my buddy and i would install it at his shop to save cash on the whole process, but also i want to keep in mind he has been rebuilding a Del Sol and is trying to get rid of it. before he decided to sell it, he purchased a turbo for it and is willing to get rid of it to me for $300 (assuming it will work properly in an 02 civic), not including the intercooler and such that would be needed.

so for the upgrade option, are there any specific exhausts or manifolds that would not be able to handle boost if i decide to do the install? and i see the install as not being necessarily pointless, but obviously wouldnt yield the same amount of hp or torque i would receive from a manual transmission.

again, any suggestions and advice are welcome. im debating what to do currently and i figure help from people with experience would be beneficial.

thanks for reading!
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exhaust Manifold... CRACKED!!?!?!

Your mechanic is bullshitting you. New oem manifold is around 800 bucks and I seriously doubt unbolting 8 bolts and re bolting those 8 bolts will cost you 500 bucks in labor. My manifold cracked at 115k miles. I drove with it cracked for 20k miles. Picked up a used manifold with 70k mikes for 60 bucks shipped here on the forum. Put it in. Problem solved.

Turboing your car will be A LOT more that you think. Search around for people who have turboed their cars and see how much money and hassle it is to do it reliably.
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Check the warranty on the manifold. It's something like 5 or 6 yrs or 80k miles. If you fit both of those criteria then take it to the dealer and get it replaced for free.
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

lol 1300 is highway robbery for a manifold
Old 10-13-2008
Registered!!

you knocked the nail right on the head. 800 for the new manifold and 500 for labor. i know its crazy what hes asking for the labor. i am over warranty at 105k but still running smooth. i can basically ride on it until march when inspection comes along because it wont pass according to him.

so anyway i figured since i have to replace this sometime soon, i could probably get an after market manifold and a catback for either around the same price or maybe a bit above it depending on what i get.

and yeah you're right on the turbo being expensive and a hassle. i was recently reading the topic which compared turboing a d17 block against droppin a k20 and they both seemed to come to about 10k or so when done right. the turbo might have been 2k im not sure what i read at this point its been a month or two. but either way its expensive and someone cant just say "hey guys lets just bolt this on and call it a day." because it has to be done properly.
Old 10-14-2008
Registered!!

johnnyboy5000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine cracked and I got an after market manifold that seems to be working good. Cost $350 and $130 to have it installed.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Exhau...-/AM-17307335/

It's different than the OEM part. I guess the real test will be if I fail the Nevada smog test. I don't think so, the exhaust looks normal.
Old 10-14-2008
Registered!!

Krieger is an unknown quantity at this point

get an aftermarket one... it will be cheaper and will be less restrictive than ur OEM one... and u can do the work yourself no prob.
Old 10-14-2008
Registered!!

What ever you do make sure you install it yourself. Its the simplest installation. As a side note: If your CEL isn't on then you should be able to pass inspection. I got my car smogged in California with a cracked manifold. I don't know about your states laws but I passed in CA.
Old 10-14-2008
Registered!!

LemmieHill is a jewel in the roughLemmieHill is a jewel in the roughLemmieHill is a jewel in the rough

Hey man, I had a friend with a D16 civ and he bought a set of DC headers and a magnaflow exhaust for it, but the car actually sounded a whole lot better with the stock ex. mani/ magnaflow than with DC/magna. Reason being is that the cat in the stock mani acted as a resonator giving it a much deeper/throaty exhaust note. With the header on there the car sounded much raspier like a weedeater. If you dont mind the exhaust note change, do some research on which brand of header has higher cfm ratings/ horse power gains. Also look to see if they are anti-reversion headers. And as far as a cat back system, I would definitely recommend the Apexi N1 (sounds wicked).

The reason your car could possibly fail emissions is due to exhaust scavaging. When you have a cracked manifold/exhaust pipe the flowing gases will actually create a low pressure area and pull outside air into the stream of exhaust gas causing the 02 sensor to believe the car is running lean when its actually not. This false lean condition can cause your short/long term fuel trim to add way too much fuel and then when you go for inspection you will be way over your HC PPM on the 5gas analyzer if they do sniff test where ur from. It could also throw a CEL causing a failed inspc.

Either way it goes, the mechanic you went to see is full of ****.
Old 10-15-2008
Registered!!

yeah idk whats up. i do plan on doing everything myself rather than spending out the *** on installations but right now im just searching for what would sound nice/give decent gains rather than that raspy coffee can sound. that sound is horrible.

that header someone posted above caught my eye price-wise and i was actually looking at the Apexi N1 before you posted. ive seen a lot of them around here and ive always heard good comments about them. thing is, will it fit a sedan rather than a coupe? i know the coupes are about 2 whole inches shorter than sedans but it could make a difference.

anyone wanna post their manifold/exhaust setups on their sedans with commentary?

Last edited by eyeheartvtec; 10-15-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2008
Registered!!

LemmieHill is a jewel in the roughLemmieHill is a jewel in the roughLemmieHill is a jewel in the rough

Hmm, I dont guess they do make it specifically for the sedan, but Im sure a local muffler shop should have no problem fabing something up if it doesnt fit directly.
Honda
162-KH01 Civic 1992 - 1995 DX Coupe 60mm; 115mm
162-KH02 Civic 1992 - 1995 Hatchback 60mm; 115mm
162-KH01 Civic 1992 - 2000 EX / Si Coupe 60mm; 115mm
162-KH05 Civic 1996 - 2000 DX Coupe 60mm; 115mm
162-KH07 Civic 1996 - 2000 DX Hatchback 60mm; 115mm
162-KH13 Civic 2001+ EX Coupe 60mm; 115mm
162-KH14 Civic 2002+ Si HB 60mm; 115mm
162-KH06 Prelude 1992 - 1996 (All) 60mm; 115mm
162-KH08 Prelude 1997 - 2001 VTEC 60mm; 115mm
162-KH09 Prelude 1997 - 2001 Type SH 60mm; 115mm
162-H016 S2000 2000+ (Single) 60mm; 90mm
Old 10-15-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

convert to EX exhaust system if you have to pass smog. otherwise get LX kamikaze header that deletes the cat.
Old 10-16-2008
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

I bought my header off of E-bay for fairly cheap (JVTRacing) and installed it myself in 20 minutes. They are simple to replace, just remember that wd40 or some kind of lubricant that can make breaking your bolts loose easier is your friend! 24 hours before breaking bolts, frickin spray the **** out of those things!!! And it will be easy as pie. And mine dont have a tinny sound, nice deep rumble. I wouldnt worry about hp gains much unless you get a catback along with a dc single piece header downpipe. If you just get the header itself the insulated downpipe will still restrict flow and you wont get nothing out of it.
Old 04-17-2009
Registered!!

xdirtyroofer is an unknown quantity at this point

i read that the warranty was extended to 14 years or 150,000 miles
on the one piece exhaust manifold/ catyletec converter, or anything to do
with emmissions such as O2 sensors etc... and all are supposed to be fixed
for free from the authorized honda dealer .

i hope its true , i got a crack about 5 inches long running straight trough
the O2 sensor threads
Old 04-17-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xdirtyroofer
i read that the warranty was extended to 14 years or 150,000 miles
on the one piece exhaust manifold/ catyletec converter, or anything to do
with emmissions such as O2 sensors etc... and all are supposed to be fixed
for free from the authorized honda dealer .

i hope its true , i got a crack about 5 inches long running straight trough
the O2 sensor threads
Have any information to back this up? This could be good news for the d17a1 crew.
Old 04-17-2009
Registered!!

xdirtyroofer is an unknown quantity at this point

i called the authorized honda dealer today about it, and its true.
i had already changed the old one out, but i'm about to put it back in
and take it down there(so not to void the manufacturers warranty).

just call and give them your vin#
Old 04-17-2009
Registered!!

I'd like to but i have greater than 150k on my car.
Old 04-19-2009
Registered!!

PhuFighter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm. wow. I have over 150k miles on my car too (03 LX). The manifold cracked at about 100k miles, but my mechanic told me it would cost either ~$1500 CAD to get it replaced at the dealership or $50 to weld it back (not sure how big the crack was).

$50 later, it was like the crack wasn't even there...
Old 12-28-2009
Registered!!

alexdrewn is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think the d17a1 is covered by that extended 14 year 150k warranty for cracked manifolds.

dirtyRoofer what model do you have?
Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

HondaCivic1997L is an unknown quantity at this point

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your mid 90's civic was purchased less than 14 years ago today and has less than 150,000 miles, the cracked manifold and catalytic converter should be covered by warranty per the consent decree between Honda and the EPA.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...erhonda-cd.pdf

Don't be bullied by the Honda dealers that tell you it is not covered if it is the style that has the exhaust manifold bolted to the catalytic converter. Per pages 10 and 11 of the decree, all parts including intake, fuel metering, throttle, injection, ignition, exhaust and emissions are covered per Appendix B. Some Honda dealers are lying or have been misinformed about coverage. Take a copy of the decree to them and make Honda do what they agreed to in the decree. This is the law. If they don't cooperate, call your state attorney general and ask to talk to someone in consumer protection.
Old 01-04-2012
Registered!!

dosmastr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HondaCivic1997L
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your mid 90's civic was purchased less than 14 years ago today and has less than 150,000 miles, the cracked manifold and catalytic converter should be covered by warranty per the consent decree between Honda and the EPA.

Don't be bullied by the Honda dealers that tell you it is not covered if it is the style that has the exhaust manifold bolted to the catalytic converter. Per pages 10 and 11 of the decree, all parts including intake, fuel metering, throttle, injection, ignition, exhaust and emissions are covered per Appendix B. Some Honda dealers are lying or have been misinformed about coverage. Take a copy of the decree to them and make Honda do what they agreed to in the decree. This is the law. If they don't cooperate, call your state attorney general and ask to talk to someone in consumer protection.
ok, but what about page 50? the post here says 14 years which my 98 civic makes that cut, but the epa pdf lists effected vehicles on page 50 and its a little less inclusive than is talked about here. Clarification?
Old 02-21-2012
Registered!!

usixly is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know if this would apply to my 2002 Civic Si? Engine light came on last month, and I'm getting the P0240 code. Haven't had diagnostics done yet, and the car runs really smooth. Hoping it's just an o2 sensor, but wanted to have the options in mind before I go into the shop.
Thanks!
Old 07-18-2012
Registered!!

Dave in NYC is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too! But I don't know if mine is the kind of manifold that has the cat totally integrated in one piece. It's a 4DSD 2001 (perhaps early, as the VIN starts with 2HGES1...., rather than 2HGES2...). My mechanic, Ed, who is truly honest and finds the best way for me for everything, knows of this because one of his guys noticed a small crack last week (at 125K while doing the bushings, etc.). No lights coming on, no emissions problems, no O2 readings, passed emissions just fine in Dec. No urgency, but definitely a crack -- I saw it and could hear it with tube up against it, so why let it get worse? But couldn't get part last week. Ed didn't see it that day. On phone says, according to VIN, he thinks it's integrated with something Honda calls a "pre-cat", and can get a good replacement (called around to everyone) and do it for $250 - $300, but needs to take it out and bring it to someone with the part and make sure it's absolutely correct. (Car runs fine, good mileage, maybe exhaust system sound increasing slightly over past 6 - 8 months.) Sounds like he's familiar with this and has it under control. I'd just hate to spend $300 if Honda owes this to me.
ANYONE know if this vehicle is part of that recall?????
OR if it's just something to be expected, not involved with the manifold/cat single piece issue and not to get worried about (and try to make Honda pay)? I've checked Honda website with our VIN and this is NOT one of our recalls.
Any info MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! - Dave
Old 07-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

7th gen civics are not under this extended warranty deal. Have your mechanic weld up the crack, should be pretty quick and cheap.
Old 12-15-2012
Registered!!

MirrorMask is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HondaCivic1997L

I'd love to look over a copy of this and see if it applies to my situation, but the URL has changed. Can anyone post an updated link, or give me a document title so I can look it up myself?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2015
Registered!!

chape22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone had the Exhaust Manifold Covered by the New 14 yr/150k mile Warranty done at a dealer?????? I called and they told me it's NOT covered. Where would I find pages 10 and 11 of the decree??????? Need help fast!
Old 07-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chape22
Has anyone had the Exhaust Manifold Covered by the New 14 yr/150k mile Warranty done at a dealer?????? I called and they told me it's NOT covered. Where would I find pages 10 and 11 of the decree??????? Need help fast!

What car do you have (year, trim, etc) , and what is your location?
Old 07-31-2015
Registered!!

chape22 is an unknown quantity at this point

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr, Rochester, NY
Old 07-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr, Rochester, NY
Sorry, that warranty extension did not apply to 7th gen cars.
It applied to 1996-1997 Civic (6th gen) and some other Honda models.

You're on your own.

HTH
Old 08-04-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
convert to EX exhaust system if you have to pass smog. otherwise get LX kamikaze header that deletes the cat.

+1. You might be able to find a local junk yard to pull one for you for under $100 for entire exhaust.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold... CRACKED!!?!?!