Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

VTEC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02whiteem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question VTEC Problem

Got a weird problem. Yesterday my girl was driving her 05 ex coupe to school and when she got to a stop sign by her house her check engine light came on and when she tried to pull off the tranny slipped a little. (bought the car 3 months ago, only has abt 42k). She calls me and contines on her way. When she tries to get on the highway it slips worse (just revs and bucks like mad) so she pulls over and i come and tow it to the dealer. Now this car has never had any tranny problems since we got it. It shifts like butter and has had no problems for the 10k we put on it. I know the 01-03 auto trannies have problems (which is y i bought my 02 as a stick) , but this is the first time the 05 has acted up and it died instantly. Don't these things usually gradually happen. Ive had tranny problems in my old Integra and it would be months before it would *** out completely. Anyway the dealer looked at it and said everything is fine the light "was never on" and we can pick it up tomorrow after they check it out a little more. They said there were no codes stpred in memory. Do you guys think this is a tranny problem or did the car just have a hiccup or something? Any comments would be appreciated Thanks..

Last edited by 02whiteem2; 09-10-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: Weird Transmission Problem

Cars dont have hiccups, they just pass gas. It sounds like something was messed up. The codes woulda been cleared if the battery was disconnected, was it? Try an idle relearn and cross your fingers. If that or anything else weird happens, bring it to a napa or autozone and barrow a code scanner to see what really happens. Depending on how literate the people are that checked the codes, they might have accidently cleared them before they could see what it was. People are stupid sometimes, so **** happens. Maybe your girl just messed up, stalled somehow and mistaked the battery light and the flashing maintaince light at the begining of start up as a CEL?
Old 09-04-2008
Registered!!

Ok thats the last time i ask my girl about whats wrong with her car. I drove it 4 2 mins and realized whats wrong. The car is in limp mode. It wont rev pask 4k. Could bad gas cause the car to go into limp or is this something else. Ill go to autozone and pull the code in the morning. but neone have ne ideas. when i turn the car off and restart it it revs normally but the cel is still on.
Old 09-08-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

figure out what the cel is for and go from there. doesnt sound like trans issue.
Old 09-08-2008
Registered!!

Re: VTEC Problem!!!!!!!!!

Ok so i pulled the code at autozone. Its coming up as P 2647: Vtec oil pressure switch low voltage. Workers said it could be a bad switch/wiring or im just low on oil. Well oil is fine so i took it to the dealer. They kept it for 3 days said all the wiring and the switch is good but said there was an update to the ECU for this problem and updated it. They put like 40 miles on the car and it didnt come back on so they said it was good. Picked it up today and on the way home the cel came on and car is acting the same. It wont rev past 4k. Now this is really starting to be a bi**h of a problem. Its been almost a week and no one seems to know whats going on. My girl is busy tomorrow so we can't take it back in for service till wednesday. Does anyone here have any suggestions? Sorry for the long post but im getting frustrasted and this isn't even my car.
Old 09-11-2008
Registered!!

ourbloodykisses is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: VTEC Problem

if you dont go past 4k its your oil pressure, I had the same problem once. add oil or get its all changed, I wouldnt keep driving it around, its gotta be oil. check tranny fluid as well?
Old 09-12-2008
Registered!!

The oil was changed when we first too the car in last tuesday. Now the dealer is stumped they said they changed all the sensors and the cel still came on so next they tried to change the ECU. it hasnt come back on yet. Just waitin for a call so see if i can hopefully pick it up today.
Old 09-12-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

replace oil pressure switch on vtec solenoid. if its not a separate piece, replace whole solenoid. i doubt they did anything.
Old 09-12-2008
Premium Member

also, if you want my used pressure switch i can send it to you for $5. nothing wrong with it, but i replaced the whole solenoid due to a different vtec code (p1259 i think) and it came with a new sensor already.
Old 09-13-2008
Registered!!

OK update...

They said it was the PCM that was bad. they need to order it. hopefully it comes in on monday. this has been a hell of a week.
Old 09-13-2008
Premium Member

hopefully its under warranty...