Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Auto Limped to the Driveway

Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
earl610 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Auto Limped to the Driveway

Overview
Let's talk real fixes for these stupid automatic transmissions. I'll give some background and I'd really like to hear any ideas you may have. Or jokes. Or the number for HondaAmerica.

Background
Ok, 125K. My auto started whining about 2 weeks ago, check engine light lit up 2 days ago, auto slipping yesterday, and it limped home - barely - a few minutes ago - it'll take a tow to get out of here.

I read all morning about the various whines that these suckers have. In addition to the transmission whine (probably the 2nd transmission based upon what I've read), there is at least one belt whining (tightened one yesterday to specs), PS whine (topped off the fluid), and the stereo speaker whine that goes with the RPM (became a lesser concern lately.

Alternatives
First - high performance upgrade to solve problem. Anyone got something? Shops in sacramento CA with experience?

Second - auto to manual swap? Never should have bought an automatic, but I didn't think I'd fit in the car well with a manual (tall).

Third - Next time, how about a Honda synthetic AT Fluid? Something else? Do they even make that?

Fourth - Replacement options? Rebuilt unit? Shops in Sacramento?

Fifth - Could the slipping be anything else?

Sixth - Should I fix and sell this lime?

Last edited by earl610; 09-02-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-02-2008
Registered!!

earl610 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001 Auto Limped to the Driveway

Local dealer indicated that extended warranties / recalls were offered on Accords and Odysseys but not the Civic. Great. Gave him my VIN and he called back with a $2495 quote. Not bad. 3/36000. Not as good as free or $1000 but it's a start right?
Old 09-02-2008
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

First thing you're gonna wanna do is diagnose that check engine light. You can then determine the severity of the problem.
Old 09-02-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

agreed, most likely its slipping clutches inside the trans, between gears, prolly 2-3 maybe 1-2, there are rebuild kits, there are performance kits, tougher clutches adn whatnot, but again, require a rebuild. u can however, get a low mileage auto trans from a junkyard for cheap, and a manual trans will last much longer
Old 09-03-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

TCI master racing overhaul kit. comes with a ton of stuff including new clutches. have a shop rebuild yours. im sure its the second clutch thats defective like all the other problem cases. honda has a tsb on it now, ofcourse that doesnt help anyone since all those 01-02 are out of warranty lol. honda ATF is still the best fluid ive used for this trans. its not the fluid in this case tho, its an actual defect in workmanship in the trans (secondary clutch pack). not sure if they fixed it for 04-05 models or not. auto trans on my 02 civic started slipping at 50k miles. ive been using lubecontrol lc20 in the fluid, as well as added an HX civic trans fluid filter and a trans fluid cooler from B&M, im at 80k now and it did not get any worse. im trying to make it last as long as possible before rebuild.
Old 09-03-2008
Registered!!

dcjose20 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you want to take the route of getting a low mileage transmission from a junk yard, see if you can find one from an 05 model. I was assured by ppl on this forum that this was a possible course of action because 05 transmissions were compatible with the 01 year my car was. I haven't had a problem with the transmission since.