Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

headlights lost their gloss? What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ugabuga is an unknown quantity at this point
headlights lost their gloss? What to do?

Hi

I was wondering if my civic is the only one whose headlights have become less and less transparent over the years. The plastic doesnt feel smooth but rather rough.

I was wondering what would be the best thing to use to polish that off without messing it up even more?

Thanks in advance
Chris
Old 08-05-2008
Registered!!

mickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the rough
Re: headlights lost their gloss? What to do?

toothpaste!
Old 08-05-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

They have some really good stuff at Advance Auto that comes in a small silver pouch. The stuff works really well, I think its called head light restorer.
Old 08-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah get that, its a kit with sandpapers, polish, etc to get the oxidation off the top. its from sun damage to the plastic. if its not too bad, meguiars plastx might work too.
Old 08-07-2008
Registered!!

yeah I have heard about toothpaste as well. I guess I could try that on a small portion with a clean rag. If not I'll try the kit.

But still ... my 17 yr old toyota has glass headlights and they look new, why does Honda use that cheap plastic stuff? Not trying to start a tribal war or anything, just a little disgruntled
Old 08-07-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

cause glass hurts people if you run over them lol. its a safety thing and also because most newer headlamps use CAD optics and need a totally clear and thin front lens. the glass refracts more light than plastic and decreases light output. and finally, plastic is cheaper to mold.
Old 08-11-2008
Registered!!

ok i tried the toofpaste
it did remove the yellowish stain from the decomposed plastic but it still isnt completely clear. I think the inside has been affected as well but I still feel some roughness on the outside.

I think I will need hours with the toothpaste to take care of that. May be i'll give those repair kits a try.
Old 08-11-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Sand that **** down! Mine turn out clear as day after I wet sand them. It'll only take about an hour (more if your ocd like me) and they'll be super smooth.
Old 08-12-2008
Registered!!

what grit paper did you use?
Old 08-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up a kit from Autozone for something like 15 bucks. It had 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grits.
Old 08-15-2008
Registered!!

Thrasher086 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought the Crystal View stuff at advanced auto in the silver package. Boy does that stuff work. I was always upset when I saw nice clear headlights while mine was foggy. This stuff DOES work! They look brand new! For 20 bucks I recommend everyone to buy it and it has a life time warranty.
Old 08-16-2008
Registered!!

soarintothesun is an unknown quantity at this point
How to restore your headlights luster and shine

What you'll need:
-Sand Paper - 1000, 1500, and 2000 Grit
-3M Scratch and Chip Repair Kit (believe you get some sand paper with this anyway, but not all of what you need, plus you get one of those sanding pens that you won't use)
-Meguiar's PlastX
-Rubbing Compound
-Meguiar's NXT Techwax (optional but recommended
-Blue Masking tape

I'll tell you the absolute best stuff to use (in my opinion anyway)Meguiar's PlastX, combined with wet sanding and Rubbing Compound.

Before you start it's always good to make sure your Headlights are clean, duh right? Go ahead and wash em and while you're doing that let your sand paper soak in some water in a separate bucket, drop in a little dish soap as an additional lubricator. Dry off the wet to apply tape around your headlights, and then wet your head lights back down for the next step

Wet sand both of your head lights starting with 1000 G, then work up to 1500 G, and then to 2000. Make sure you spray build up off of your headlights with your water hose as you go (sand spray sand spray). Do not neglect corners and tight areas, it's important to give all areas as much attention with one grit as you did with the previous grit. Always sand in one direction and try as much as possible to do one complete motion from side to side and KEEP IT WET.

When you get them both sanded, their gonna be blurry and it was at this point, the first time I did it, I though man I reeeeallly F'ed up here, but not to worry we're only half-way there.
Compound it...I used a power drill with the orange buffing pad/wheel the 3M scratch and chip repair kit I bought from Wal-Mart. You can do it by hand but, it's of course going to take longer and you'll wear yourself out doing it the hard way before you get to the point that you would with a buffing wheel. Buff it buff it, till you get all the haze off. Don't neglect the corners and tight areas!
Next use the gray wheel from the scratch and chip kit to apply the Meguiar's PlastX. Polish it polish it until you feel a grin creep across your face, cause those lights are going to come out like brand new, then keep going a little longer for extra measure cuz that's pride F*ckin' with you. And again...don't neglect the corners and tight areas!
I went the extra mile by applying two coats of Meguiars NXT Techwax for added protection and shine. It seems to help preserve the finish a lot better and for a longer duration than just quitting after applying the PlastX.

Lastly, take a few steps back and admire your work.

Remember, this will be something you'll have to come back to, either to touch up with just the PlastX and wax or if you're like me...just redo the whole process because you get much better results. It's just because wind erosion and road dust, oxidation and heat are all factors you encounter while driving, idling, or just leaving your car sitting there in the driveway that destroy your headlights luster and slickness. That's how they got there in the first place and that's where they're going to be down the road. I'd say be prepared to touch up or repeat the process every 4-6 Months. Maybe sooner, it just depends on your driving condtions, weather, etc.
Good luck!
Old 08-17-2008
Registered!!

very good writeup! Thanks! Someone should sticky this.
by the way how much did all the supplies cost, approximately?

Just want to compare the cost of this vs new headlights.
Old 08-18-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

Buy the darn kit in the silver package from advanced auto would ya? Although what soarintothesun told you will more than likely work the kit is like $15 vs all the money you will need for the way he suggested. BTW the kit also has instructions.
Old 08-19-2008
Registered!!

I was about the say the same thing! Just buy the silver kit by crystal view. I am telling you guys that it works!
Old 08-22-2008
Registered!!

I'm not sure what I spent on all the supplies it but I don't think it was any more than 35 dollars, I'll get my list priced and get back to you. (I've been buying bits and pieces piecemeal since I first did it because I've been using the sand paper on smoking my tail lights.)
I think I may try the crystal view next time around just to see if it gets the same result. It's rewarding to see the result of my method after the work I put into it but if this stuff has a lifetime warranty and it's a few bucks cheaper I'd like to see how well it holds up. I'd like to know what's included with it and how it works, so I'll check it out, but it seems to me that if you're not making a slick surface through wet sanding then you're wasting your time with whatever polish you put on it.
Old 08-22-2008
Registered!!

it comes with all the stuff you were using basically and you have to wet the sand paper on headlights before. Its good.
Old 08-26-2008
Registered!!

Aaah ok, hell yea I'll check it out next time around.
Old 08-28-2008
Registered!!

i got the crystal view stuff and boy does it work!
Dad's camry is next!
Old 09-12-2008
Registered!!

hndrider is on a distinguished road

i wish you guys can post up some before and after pics for comparison.