Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

rough idle and no power

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rahenry00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: rough idle and no power

OK...it could be a multitude of things so get the code and then we go from there.
Old 08-22-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

on our car, primary upstream is right below the header, secondary downstream is inside the cat. at least for the ex model. lx has the cat builtin to the header, so the two sensors are much closer together, but same placement applies. make sure you use oem type sensors (bosch/ntk) with the SAME length wiring and plug.
Old 08-22-2008
Registered!!

jj_diamond is an unknown quantity at this point

but in some cases like mine, the header has a different placement for the primary sensor. therefore you have to use an extension.
Old 08-22-2008

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rahenry00
OK...it could be a multitude of things so get the code and then we go from there.
Yeah, no point in guessing the problem unless you know the code that the ECU is throwing at you. Get an OBDII reader or have someone check it out (lots of shops have it, even some quick lube shops). Diagnose the code then you can diagnose the problem.
Old 08-24-2008
Registered!!

code P1362 manufacturer control. ignition system or misfire.

it only really happends when it's really hot and the a/c is on.

Last edited by jj_diamond; 08-24-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

Get some new NGK plugs
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

i put fresh NGK's in it 5 months ago.
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

Maybe the coil packs are dead. I am not if there is a test for your packs but hopefully they're ok, they are expensive. Did you torque the plugs to the correct spec?
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

yes. it runs fine until the CEL comes on. and like i said it only happens when it's really hot and i run the a/c for a bit. the engine seems to be really hot when you open the hood. the temp gauge reads fine and is working.

could it be a bad PCV valve?
Old 08-25-2008

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

P1362 TDC Sensor No Signal - Taken from the OBDII codes sticky.

First thing to check is the TDC sensor in the distributor. Apparently, heat from the distributor + moisture from the high-running A/C = potential shorts within the coils or electrical components of the distributor. Try not to run the A/C on full blast so much.

Or you can replace the whole distributor and go from there.
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

funny thing is, when i do run the a/c i only run it on half not fully cranked. because i'm aware of the CEL problem.

maybe the extreme heat from the bad catalytic messed up the TDC sensor? i'm assuming like any other sensor these can go bad due to extremeties? easliy replacable?
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

ugabuga is an unknown quantity at this point

i didnt know we have a distributor. I dont see one in MY car.
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...placement.html

10 is the TDC sensor

Last edited by jj_diamond; 08-25-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

We don't have one.
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

after looking at the area on the engine i'm assuming the rubber grommet on the side of the timing cover is the TDC sensor plug/wire? does the valve cover really need to come off?
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

I don't think the valve cover needs to come off
Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

doesn't seem like it to me either.
Old 08-28-2008
Registered!!

soarintothesun is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea this sounds all too familiar, I've gone through this and gone through it and I'm still in it! i've had the timing belt changed along with water pump and TDC sensor, replaced my manifold with a header and spaced my downstream sensor, changed spark plugs multiple times, adjusted valves anything I could think off that might be related to it and it still gives me trouble. I thought I had it licked but just last week it did it again! My problem a lot closer to Ugabuga's, in that it normally only acts up on a cold start and especially if it's been in the sun all day or if the a/c has ran or is running I've regulated the use of my A/C down to pretty much only the times that it's necessary and it kinda cleared up. It's serious power drain for a few seconds after I start and it's ran for oh say 30 seconds. I gun the F**ker when it bogs down and run it through, afterwards it levels out as the engine warms up and doesn't do it while in operation. I think may once every 1 or 2 weeks it happens.
I agree with speedfoos' point, this has got to be a computer fart or possibly even the whispers of a fuel pump giving out. I'm more than willing to try anything to get it to go away.
Old 08-28-2008
Registered!!

HONDA_BOY1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Ex Sedan I purchased in 2006. An older couple owned it before I did they put 12,000 miles on it in 3 years. It now has 35,000 miles on it I have ran fuel treatment threw it and changed the air filter. Our honda dealer said to use chevron with techron. I havent noticed much of a difference really. When you start the car up in the morning it doesnt seem to run like it should. You put it in reverse and it has a mild vibration. Now once you drive it then its fine. Or get it out on the highway my step dad is a gm mechanic and can do the work. But we are at wits end tring to figure out what to do. I had a 2001 honda civic lx before this and it ran smooth even when the engine was cold no vibration in reverse either. If anyone can give me some tips I would appericate it greatly thanks

Last edited by HONDA_BOY1980; 08-28-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-31-2008
Registered!!

itsme is an unknown quantity at this point

I have pretty much the same car (149K miles), and the same problem. We took it to a local mechanic that we trust, he couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. So he advised us to take it to the Honda dealership. They're saying something is wrong with the camshaft wearing out and that we need a new engine.

This happened to us right before we were about to put it up for sale, too.
Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

soarintothesun is an unknown quantity at this point

I've also noticed that when I give it gas in idle (pushing rpms from 1k to about 3-4k)it bogs down before revving up,...that's a pretty constant thing there. It does it when driving too...if I push on the gas for a quick acceleration, it just sits there and thinks about it for a second and then kicks in. I've noticed it loaping when i let it coast down to low speed too (not bad...but enough to notice something's up). I have 185K+ on my engine...soooo its about time for something to start acting up right? What other signs would tell if the fuel pump is giving up and what would I have to use to test it?
I've been through this problem for some 70k miles now and nothing I've done seems to work.
Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

pacotaco is an unknown quantity at this point

all i have to say is the watcha sensor haahahah umm crank sensor maybe dirty happened to our car sound the same it starts up realy rough idol and no power
Old 09-01-2008
Registered!!

pacotaco is an unknown quantity at this point

sry forgot where it was haha its on the side of the block i think by the timing belt down near the tensioner check it because if it was dirty and it wasent reading properly it wouldent be able to time properly so it would just shoot in gas in and not hit the spark right on. it makes sense i guess to me hahahahha
Old 09-03-2008
Registered!!

dcjose20 is an unknown quantity at this point

I kinda have the same problem. I feel like when i sit in traffic and try accelerating, the car just doesnt want to go and i usually have to resort to having to smash it down just so i can pick up speed. What should i do? I have already replaced the spark plugs and i almost always use shell. My car is an 01 civic ex coupe. This car has been just as bad to me and my old ford taurus was. I am sorry to say but its true
Old 09-17-2008
Registered!!

KriTiKaL AspecT is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a problem that may be similar to this. My car has 183Kmi and has been great aside of the a/c problem that I finally got fixed and a few fried headlight switches. The engine always purrs like a kitten. But last night I crank it up and it immediatly has a ruff idle and no power at all. I didn't really drive it more than a hundred feet. But once reved above 2k it sounded smooth. Then ruff as it approached idle. The engine is deffinately missing. And I noticed a more pronounced smell of fuel from the exhaust. I have immediatly thought spark so I will check my plugs when I get a chance.
You see I did a seafoam treatment to it not too long ago and took it for probably 3 short drives have let it idle for a period of time. I was thinking fauled plug but how come it took this long to show its face? And then I thought O2 sensor maybe. But lets think about it...? Your car is in open loop untill it is warm enough to bring your sensors up to temp. So that isn't the case. And now there is talk of the camshaft pos. sensor. This may be the case.
I'll be doing some work to it this weekend as I have to get this fixed. The car is going up for sale. Couldn't have a better timing.
Old 05-18-2013
Registered!!

xseanx77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soarintothesun
I've also noticed that when I give it gas in idle (pushing rpms from 1k to about 3-4k)it bogs down before revving up,...that's a pretty constant thing there. It does it when driving too...if I push on the gas for a quick acceleration, it just sits there and thinks about it for a second and then kicks in. I've noticed it loaping when i let it coast down to low speed too (not bad...but enough to notice something's up). I have 185K+ on my engine...soooo its about time for something to start acting up right? What other signs would tell if the fuel pump is giving up and what would I have to use to test it?
I've been through this problem for some 70k miles now and nothing I've done seems to work.
I Couldn't have said it better!!! When it gets passed the slow "press the gas but I don't feel like accelerating"phase, it makes a weird nosie. If I'm going at high RPMs and it wants to shift, it sounds exactly like a maraca a couple seconds before it shifts, particularly around 5000 RPMs. I want to fix it before it bows up on me