Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What oil/filter do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tred311 is an unknown quantity at this point
What oil/filter do you use?

I just bought a 2003 EX 4dr w/ 40,000mi. on it. I'm wondering what oil to use in her. Synthetic? What's everybody else doing?

Thanks!

-T
Old 01-30-2008
Registered!!

dryft will become famous soon enough
Re: What oil/filter do you use?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7-honda-civic-diys-civic-tech-chat/165482-oil-changes.html
16 pages on that crap..enjoy! i take mine to the dealership sorry idk...i'm going to do it myself as soon as i can buy a jack and stands

Last edited by dryft; 01-30-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2008
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough

I use to just use Mobil 1 5w-20 with an OEM Honda filter, and a new OEM drain bolt gasket(washer).
Old 02-02-2008
Registered!!

jackscivic will become famous soon enough

the best bet for a filter is the honda factory filter. they are made so much better. if you go to an aftermarket filter then stay away from FRAM at all cost. they use ub quality PAPER in there filters which actually deteriate farily quickly( theres a tv special about them). if i had to pick an aftermarket one id go with pulalator(sp). you dont need to go for the reallly expensive 'high mileage' ones bc duuuh you shouldnt be going high mileage on an oil filter. want a honda to last for ever? change the oil and filter every 3000 miles regilously. thats the key.

as far as oil, mobile one is fine for synthetic but dont keep switching from reg to synth and back and forth. thats a no-no

for regular oil i tend to like the castrol GTX. ive noticed better performance and longevity of the breakdown of the oil. ive never been a fan of what dealerships use as oil(mostly cuz i kno what it really is)
Old 02-02-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackscivic

as far as oil, mobile one is fine for synthetic but dont keep switching from reg to synth and back and forth. thats a no-no
actually, that is not true, AT ALL, u can switch back and forth all u want from syn to conv oils, wont hurt a thing, and please, please search in the future
Old 02-05-2008
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough

Mobil 1 syn and Napa gold filter.
Old 02-10-2008
Registered!!

Canadian2k4Si is an unknown quantity at this point

Amsoil 5-20 full syn, amsoil filter, change my oil ever 12,000 Kms
Old 02-15-2008
Registered!!

jackscivic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d
actually, that is not true, AT ALL, u can switch back and forth all u want from syn to conv oils, wont hurt a thing, and please, please search in the future

ACTUALLY i dont kno where you are getting your informantion from but you are NOT sopposed to keep switching. this is something we have to go through in training so unless your telling me a vehicle manufacturer, oil companies, and ASE certified master technicians are wrong and you are the one that is right then i suggest some research. not trying to burn you but as much as i like putting COD motors in at work i dont want people to start messing up there motors.
Old 02-17-2008
Registered!!

reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jackscivic
ACTUALLY i dont kno where you are getting your informantion from but you are NOT sopposed to keep switching. this is something we have to go through in training so unless your telling me a vehicle manufacturer, oil companies, and ASE certified master technicians are wrong and you are the one that is right then i suggest some research. not trying to burn you but as much as i like putting COD motors in at work i dont want people to start messing up there motors.
First off,

Grammar 0wnz J00

I'm sorry, but I can't take seriously someone who is over 10 years of age and can't figure out the difference between "there" and "their." Spellcheck is also a handy invention.

Second, he's right about switching back and forth from synthetic not having a significantly negative effect on your engine. The only reason that it was EVER a problem was in older vehicles with a lot of built-up sludge and carbon fouling in oil passageways and around deteriorated seals. The synthetics would loosen the crud up and the seals would fail on repeated expansion when subjected to dino oil again. With higher quality conventional oils and only 40k on the engine, I'd say knock yourself out. Question is, why would you want to go back?

My personal take is that synthetic oils are superior to dino oils in just about every way. Once you go with a synthetic and don't need to change it for 10k+ miles, you'll not want to go back.

Third, on oil filter makers you are half right. Honda oil filters are specifically two part numbers and two manufacturers. One of them IS a fram oil filter, made by Honeywell in the same factory on the same lines as those other orange hunks of ****. This is honda part number 15400-PLM-A02. Stay away...

The other one is a Filtech model unit that is definitely superior to the fram filter in all respects, and I would have no problem using it in my car. It is Part number 15400-PLM-A01. In most of the "cut open an oil filter" tests I see on the internet, the Filtech models appear to be very well made and have a decent amount of media.

This is covered in another thread here, I forget which one. h-and-a accessories stocks whichever one honda gives them. When I ordered some washers from the guy they said that honda has something like 500,000 of each type in inventory and they just ship whatever is on hand.

I would highly recommend doing an Auto-Rx treatment on the car if it has had conventional oil from day 1 and if the maintenance history is suspect. Auto-Rx is not a BS "flush" like jiffy lube - you leave Rx in there for 3-5K miles so it slowly dislodges any sludge into the oil filter on next change. After a cycle of that, I'd say go synthetic and never look back.

As per previous poster, there's already a thread on this. Use the search function next time...

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...l-changes.html

Also try bobistheoilguy.com's forums. Those people are effing nuts and take their oil seriously - lab analysis and such:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I use RedLine 5w20 with Mobil-1 Filters in my car. Average about 10K miles between oil changes.

Last edited by reddawnman; 02-17-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

good info thanks. and yea i knew about the honda=fram thing so i just dont bother with it. there are better filters out there for cheaper.
Old 02-17-2008
Registered!!

TheJGB3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually I use the Honda OEM filters part# 15400-PLM-A01, 15400-PLM-A02, 15400-PCX-004, or the K&N HP1004. For oil I use dino Castrol GTX 5w30, 5w30 Valvoline or Honda 5w30.

Last edited by TheJGB3; 06-22-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2008
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

5w-20 mobil 1 full synthetic and mobil 1 filter (slippery little bastard!!)