Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Auto-Down Driver's Window

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
craddmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto-Down Driver's Window

Ever since my 2001 LX coupe was in the shop for extensive repairs (6 years ago), the auto-down feature on my driver's side power window hasn't worked. Sounds strange but: when it's relatively cold outside it doesn't work at all; when it's been sitting with the sun on the door it sometimes works; and when you lower and raise the window several times it sometimes starts to work (but only for a little while).

I read on a random website that the auto-down stops every time you disconnect the battery and to let the window down, then up, then hold the switch for an additional 2 seconds to reset the feature. That didn't work. In fact, it stopped going down at all for a second or two until I pushed the switch a few times.

Does anyone know of a quick fix for this? I have a feeling the regulator may need replacing, but I don't have that kind of cash just lying around. I hate it doesn't work because that's the ONLY thing on the car that doesn't work perfectly. Thanks for any input...
Old 11-15-2007
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Auto-Down Driver's Window

I have tooken the driver side door off before and hooked it back up, and it does not reset anything. That random site is bogus.

If you know somebody who has another civic coupe, I would recommend borrowing his window switch panel and swap it with the one in your car.

I would also check the fuses
Old 08-12-2011
Registered!!

wahliby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey craddmd,

Any progress on your auto down power window problem?

I'm having a similer problem. I just replaced my regulator & motor with a $60 Dorman from Autozone. The new part fixed my old non-operation power window condition. So now my driver side windows works going up and down, but the auto down engages, but stops after an inch or two.

I'll test my fuses today, and post my results. The fuses I'll be examining are #13 40A Power Window in in the engine compartmant, #6 7.5A Power Window Relay, #9 10A Side SRS, #13 10A SRS, #22 FR Power Window, and #23 FL Power Window in the interior fuse box.

I have previously tested the "reset power window" thing (move window down, open door, press down, move ignition to II, release down button, turn ignition to O, and repeat 3 or more times in 5 seconds). I was able to stop my power window for a few seconds, but it still doesn't change my intermittant auto down.

V/R
Wahliby
Old 08-12-2011
Registered!!

bryan11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure it this is similar, but when my back windows only work intermittently I sprayed the switches with CRC electrical cleaner and exercised them for a couple minutes. One window started working all the time and when I repeated the process the the other window started always working.
Old 08-12-2011
Registered!!

wahliby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bryan11
Not sure it this is similar, but when my back windows only work intermittently I sprayed the switches with CRC electrical cleaner and exercised them for a couple minutes. One window started working all the time and when I repeated the process the the other window started always working.
CRC electrical cleaner? I've never heard of this product. I'll give it a try.

Just in case, I tested the fuses and all are working fine.

V/R
Wahliby
Old 08-12-2011
Registered!!

bryan11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the correct name. I was close.

CRC 05101 QD Electronic Cleaner