Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYchick01 is an unknown quantity at this point
No heat

I'm new to the site and don't know much about cars, so before I bring it to my mechanic, I would like some answers to my questions.

Last winter I had little heat, close to none in my car. Living in NY, the winters here are pretty bad. I was driving to work one morning and the tempature needle kept rising up and up.

I brought it to a mechanic and he put anti-freeze in my car and that seemed to solve the problem for the time being.

Now that's it almost November and it's getting cold out, I'm having the same problem.....

When my car is warmed up all the way if I'm in stop & go traffic the air is either cold or luke warm. When I'm driving on the highways the heat is hot!

I don't think it's my heatercore and THE only reason I say that is because I checked my floormats and they were dry. My windshield is getting steamy though.

Does anyone have an answer for me or have had this problem with their car?

I have a 01 EX model w/ almsot 100k on it. HELP!!!!
Old 10-29-2007
Registered!!

EMTwannabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: No heat

Hey, my heat kinda sucks if I'm stopped and hotter than hell on the highway. It's because When you're driven and your vents are open there is a lot more air flow forcing more air into the car. i wouldn't say it's cold air when stopped though.
Old 10-31-2007
Registered!!

NYchick01 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I'm driving local, my air is cold. My thermostat needle rises & I have to turn the vents off, but once I'm driving at a steady speed my heat is hot. My father is a mechanic and even though I asked him last winter, I asked him to bring my car in next week and he told me he'll change the heatercore for me. As much as I love my car, I'm really thinking of getting rid of her
Old 10-31-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

have u tried the thermostat
Old 11-02-2007
Registered!!

slamminsalmon is an unknown quantity at this point

this is the first cold season for my car (maine) and im seeing the same effects. takes a long time to warm up if just sitting. and i hope you wore your jacket if i have to stop at a lot of lights on a cold day.

id like to find out wuts going on here aswell because its only november and the mornings are chilly but wuts gonna happen when its 10 below?

also, for my first winter with a civic, wut would you folks recommend for winterizing? tires? oil? coolant?

i had a golf with snow tires that worked fine, but the ex is a little smaller, should i just go with studs? i will be driving a lot this winter.
Old 11-02-2007
Registered!!

Thrasher086 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the coolant to see if it is disappearing. If it is then check for any leaks on the ground for coolant. If there is no leaks then you may have a blow head gasket. I had the same issue this week and I brought it into Honda. They said it was the head gasket and just replaced it today. I am picking it up tomorrow. The total is 550 dollars. It is covered under power train so if you still have that then your fine.